Trusted Contributor

Sour cream coffee cake made with yellow box cake - anyone remember recipe

Does anyone remember the sour cream coffee cake recipe made with yellow cake mix and cinnimon, etc.  I think it also called for four eggs.  Everyone loved it and I brought it to work too.  Wanted to make it again for Easter and just cannot find the recipe.  I am mad at myself as I cannot find it in my favorites.  Please help if you remember.  Thanks to all who respond.

Honored Contributor

Re: Sour cream coffee cake made with yellow box cake - anyone remember recipe

yes, i make this all the time. i also make variations of it using different flavors.

i think it is also included in the old forum recipe website that was created by one of the posters.

it is called a "sock it to me cake."

it is sometimes featured on the side of the butter mix cake boxes.

try substituting your nuts, liquids, and add some vanilla or your favorite extract. i usually substitute the water for milk or other juices. you can even change out the sour cream by using bananas.

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/7505/sock-it-to-me-cake-iii/

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Trusted Contributor

Thank you so much for answering.  To tell the truth, I do not remember the name of the cake, this didn't seem familiar but the recipe sounds right.  That was so nice of you.

Have a great day.

Honored Contributor

The only one I have saved that uses 4 eggs is this one. Not sure if it's what you are looking for or not. 

1/4 cup brown sugar
1 cup chopped pecans, divided
3/4 cup salad oil
1 tsp. vanilla
1 cup sour cream
2 tsp. cinnamon
1 box yellow cake mix
1/2 cup sugar
4 eggs

Grease and flour 10" tube pan or bundt pan. Combine brown sugar, cinnamon and 1/2 cup pecans, set aside. Combine cake mix, salad oil, sugar, vanilla, eggs and sour cream, beat 2 mins at med speed.

Stir in 1/2 cup pecans. Pour 1/2 of batter into prepared pan. Sprinkle brown sugar mixture over batter. Pour remaining batter into pan. Bake at 325 degs for 50 to 60 mins. Allow cake to cool in pan 30 mins before turning out.

Trusted Contributor

Thank you so much for responding.  The recipe is similar to the one above.  I think I remember vanilla being in the cake so this one is probably the one.  In either, I am sure they are both really good.  Thank you for taking the time, it is appreciated.