Honored Contributor

Sour cream and chive dip for carrots and celery

I'd love for this to work. I'm not sure it would be a good dip.

I want a tasty dip so I can get more carrots, celery, possible green peppers down. 

Does anyone (no hummus) have a good idea for a dip for this. 

Honored Contributor

Re: Sour cream and chive dip for carrots and celery

[ Edited ]

This is from a top resturant here that closed in the '80's.  They used it for baked potatoes, and after a little butter it's fantastic.

1 C sour cream

1/4 C mayonaise

3 Tbsp. dried chives

For what you're doing, you might add some chopped water chestnuts or bamboo shoots.

Chill at least 4 hrs.

You'd probably like the Spinach dip made with Knor Vegetable Soup mix.  It's absolutely awesome and lends wonderfully to vegetables.  I serve this dip with Triscuits.  

Image result for knorr vegetable mix

Honored Contributor

@ECBG, Thank you so much! I will see about this!!!

Respected Contributor

@QualityGal, ITA w/ @ECBG - the Knorr Spinach Dip is delicious!

If you'd like to try another dip for veggies, maybe you might like to try Daffodil Dip. I haven't made it since the 70s!

Back then I was living in San Francisco, & always made veggie trays for parties, & would decorate the trays w/ a few radish roses. LOL!

Does anyone even make them anymore?

Just slice 'em here & there, put into cold water to chill in the fridge, and out comes radish roses. Smiley LOL

BTW, I never used anchovies, tho these days, I might, & I gave the cooked egg-white to the dog. (I don't like cooked egg whites!)

Grate the yolk finely over the dip, garnish w/ green parsley & toss on a radish rose, just for old times' sake. Smiley Happy Pretty as a daffodil.

radish-roses.jpg

Daffodil Dip:

½ c. mayonnaise
1 - 8 oz. (250 g) package cream cheese, softened
¼ c. chopped parsley
1 clove garlic, crushed & minced
2 tbsp. finely chopped onion (or 1 tbsp. dried onion)
1 tbsp. anchovy paste (optional)
Dash of pepper
1 hard-cooked egg (chop white into dip, reserving yolk as garnish)

Combine all ingredients except egg yolk until thoroughly mixed. Chill slightly. Sprinkle with grated egg yolk before serving with raw vegetables, such as carrot or celery sticks, cauliflower, and more. Thin w/ buttermilk, if necessary.
Muddling through...
Honored Contributor

@qualitygal wrote:

I'd love for this to work. I'm not sure it would be a good dip.

I want a tasty dip so I can get more carrots, celery, possible green peppers down. 

Does anyone (no hummus) have a good idea for a dip for this. 

@qualitygal heh-heh no hummus . . . tee hee!  Smiley Happy

My mom used to make the best dip (no exact recipe).  It was basically a brick of softened cream cheese blended with sour cream and then she would grate an onion into the blend along with the juice of the onion.  It was always a huge hit whenever we entertained and when my dad would have his friends over to play poker she would have to make a separate dish for one of his friends as there was almost a physical altercation one time because he refused to share the community bowl with the rest of the community . . . simple, easy and very very good!

Honored Contributor

@qualitygal

If you are trying eat more veggies and be healthy you might want to use plain Greek yogurt for the base instead of mayo.