Respected Contributor

Soup w/ ground sausage, cabbage, carrots, potatoes

[ Edited ]

Looks good for a dull cloudy January day. Now on my list of food to fix.   Wish I could post the photo, but the source won't allow it.

Italian sausage, potato, cabbage and carrot soup  -- 10 servings

1 tablespoon olive oil
2 pounds spicy Italian pork sausage, casings removed
1 large yellow onion, diced
6 cloves garlic, minced
½ head green cabbage, julienned
5 medium carrots, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
8 cups chicken stock or 8 cups of water plus chicken bouillon (such as low-sodium Better Than Bouillon brand)
1 tablespoon onion powder
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1 pound Yukon gold potatoes, peeled and diced into 1-inch     pieces
2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill
1 lemon, juiced

Heat olive oil in  Dutch oven over medium heat. Add the sausage and sauté, breaking it up with a spoon as it cooks. Cook until golden brown, about 5-7 minutes.

Add the onions and garlic, and sauté until softened. Add the cabbage and carrots, and sauté until they start to slightly soften. Add chicken broth.

Once the soup reaches a boil, add  onion powder, salt and pepper, lower the heat to simmer and cook until flavors have married, about 20 minutes.

Add the potatoes and cook on low heat until done, about 10 minutes. Remove from heat. Stir in the dill and lemon juice. Taste and adjust seasoning, if necessary. 

______________________________________-
Nutritional information
Per serving: Per serving: 443 calories (percent of calories from fat, 64), 24 grams protein, 17 grams carbohydrates, 2 grams fiber, 31 grams fat (10 grams saturated), 69 milligrams cholesterol, 926 milligrams sodium.

Honored Contributor

Re: Soup w/ ground sausage, cabbage, carrots, potatoes

I use kielbasa instead of sausage in this soup--this recipe is very similar to a recipe in Bob Wardens pressure cooker book --is very delicious!!

Honored Contributor

I'm sure it is very good.

Trusted Contributor

@novamc1 

There's many variations of this italian sausage soup, this one sounds amazing too. Thx for posting the recipe. 

⚓️
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I too have a collection of very similar soup recipes.  One difference in this one is the use of lemon juice,  which supposedly enhances the cabbage flavor, according to the recipe's author.

I tend to crave cooked cabbage in the winter, so this stands out for me right now.

Also agree that Kielbasa or other type of smoked sausage is good, and much easier than extracting Italian sausage from casings. 

Whenever I used to make anything calling for Italian sausage, I got tired of the links and bought ground Italian sausage from the grocer's fresh meat counter, whenever I could find it.

(This is being written by a lazy cook who loves shortcuts!)

Trusted Contributor

@novamc1 

Lol, yeah I tend to shut down after 5 ingredients needed 😆 - I Heartcabbage fixed any way so this would be a delicious addition, however cruciferous veggies tear my gut up so i need to cut back on them and use sparingly. 

I was just thinking the ground italian sausage would work too. Not sure why they asked for the casing to be removed, i would just leave it on and cut the pieces small like i do with other It. sausage soup recipes.

A shot a lemon juice can enhance many entrees and recipes. 👌🏼

⚓️