Honored Contributor

Soul cakes for All Hallows Eve Halloween

[ Edited ]

from Jennifer Miller Gregory

During the Middle Ages in England, on the night before All Saints Day, or Hallowmas, pesants and children called "soulers" would go about town singing and praying for the souls of the dead. They would stop at homes and beg for a "soul cake" and promise in return to pray for the household's deceased family members to be released from purgatory. If homeowners did not give out cakes it was believed their home would be cursed. And this my friends is thought to be the origination of trick or treating.

There are many recipes for soul cakes from a small round cake to a doughnut shaped treat. Some variations include cutting a cross on the top or adding rasins. It seems that the recipes developed over time and region.

Because my children need more sugar from October 31st to November 2nd, we made our own soul cakes today. I'm hoping someone comes by singing the traditional song:

Soul, Soul, a soul cake!
I pray thee, good missus, a soul cake!
One for Peter, two for Paul,
three for Him what made us all!
Soul Cake, soul cake, please good missus, a soul cake.
An apple, a pear, a plum, or a cherry, any good thing to make us all merry.
One for Peter, two for Paul, & three for Him who made us all.

Chances are if I try to hand one out people will quietly usher their children to the next house and later report me to the police, so perhaps I'll just stick with taking them to our churches All Souls Day party.

If you are looking for a festive treat to make on All Souls Day these are a delicious little treat. They are a bit like a spiced shortbread cookie, not really fluffy cake like.

I decided to go with a traditional recipe from food.com, but I'll still post the full instructions with pictures for you below, as I made a few changes as I went.

Ingredients:

1 cup butter
3 3/4 cups flour
1 cup sugar
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon ginger
1 teaspoon allspice
2 eggs
2 teaspoons cider vinegar
6 tablespoons milk
powdered sugar, to sprinkle on top

Directions:

1. Using a pastry blender cut 1 c. of butter into 3 3/4 cups of flour. I bought my first pastry blender just for this occasion.

2. Blend in the sugar, nutmeg, ginger, cinnamon and allspice. Allspice smells like Christmas.

3. In a separate bowl beat eggs, vinegar and milk together. I would like to add a little shout out here to my amazing mother-in-law, who is always gifting me with amazing things for my kitchen, like these awesome Pyrex measuring cups, Thanks!

4. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix.

5. Kneed thoroughly to form a stiff dough. You really have to work this dough, I thought there was no way it was moist enough, but once I mashed it all up it was just right.

6. Roll out to a 1/4 inch thickness and cut out 3 inch circles with a cookie cutter or glass.

7. Place on a baking sheet and bake at 350 for 20 minutes.

8. Sprinkle with powdered sugar while still warm. I use a slotted spoon for this.

9. Eat, yummy.

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

Re: Soul cakes for All Hallows Eve Halloween

Looks/sounds incredible!

I'm lazy, if anyone wants to send me one.  }:

Denise
Esteemed Contributor

Thanks, I'll make some for my Grandson and sing the song to him.

Respected Contributor

Well, well, well @cherry : as I live and learn !! 

This story and your recipe are all new to me and I love knowing about them. Don’t know how I missed out on this information since my birthday is Halloween so I really appreciate you sharing them here (your pictures are very helpful as well).

Thanks again.

Honored Contributor

I am glad everyone is enjoying this. I thought it might be interesting for you to know the origins of Halloween

Respected Contributor

Very interesting and something I didn't know. Thanks for posting @cherry !

If my dog doesn't like you, neither do I.
Trusted Contributor

Thank you Cherry.

This wholesome take on All Hallows Eve is a nice alternative for those who choose to celebrate the eve in Christ.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@PINKdogWOOD, thank you, but these are not my recipes. They are ones that I have found ,and I thought others might enjoy them too

Esteemed Contributor

Thanks for sharing @cherry 

Honored Contributor

@cherry Your post is SO extremely interesting!!!Smiley Happy