1/2 c. chopped onion

1 (8 oz.) pkg. cream cheese, cubed

1 can cream of mushroom soup

1 (12 oz.) can whole kernel corn, drained

1/4 c. chopped pimento

1 can refrigerator biscuits

Salt

pepper to taste

Brown meat; drain. Add onion; cook until tender. Add cream cheese and soup, mixing well. Stir in corn, pimento and seasonings. Pour into 1-1/2-quart casserole. Separate dough into 10 biscuits. Cut each in half, forming 20 half-circles (I cut into quarters) Place biscuits, cut-side down, around edge of casserole. I top the biscuits with paprika and parsley flakes for color. Bake at 375 for 20-25 minutes or until biscuits are browned.

Taco Salad

Serves 6 to 8.

Been making this since the 70's

1 lb ground beef

1 pkg taco seasoning (original recipe called for 2 pkg) I use Taco Bell brand

1 head lettuce, coarsely chopped

2 or 3 medium firm tomatoes, diced (I remove seeds and pulp)

1/2 cucumber, chopped

2 cups Cheddar cheese, shredded, or Monterey Jack

2 cans (16 oz) Ranch style beans, drained or any brand chili beans, or kidney beans, drained, or drained black beans, or pinto beans, drained or red beans, drained

4 green onions, diced ( I used 1/2 of white onion)

1 cans (4 oz) black olives, sliced

1 pkg (regular size bag, not snack size) Nacho Doritos, broken, but not finely crushed

1 bottle Green Goddess dressing

salt

pepper

Brown ground beef in skillet. Drain oil and add taco seasoning mix. Combine lettuce, tomatoes, onions, olives, cucumber, cheese, beans and beef into large bowl and mix lightly with big spoon. Add chips and dressing just before serving. Season to taste and serve immediately. This needs to be eaten immediately because the chips get soggy and the lettuce gets wilty, if you put it away for later.

I chop the cucumbers in the Vidalia chopper or genius chopper, with large squares blade

Easy Cheesy Potatoes

Wyler's add 1992

1 (2 lb) pkg frozen hash brown potatoes, partially thawed

1 (16 oz) container sour cream ( I only used 1 cup and added a can of cream of chicken soup and 1/2 cup milk)

2 cups (8 oz) shredded Colby cheese

1 cup (4 oz) shredded Monterey Jack cheese

1/2 cup chopped onion

1/2 cup chopped green bell pepper

1 (2 oz) jar sliced pimentos, drained

1 Tbsp chicken instant bouillon

Preheat oven to 350 F.

I precook the onions and green pepper in about 1 Tbsp of butter and when softened I add the potatoes till they are browned a little then proceed with restof recipe

In large bowl, combine all ingredients except 1/2 cup cheese; mix well.

Turn into buttered 13 x 9" baking dish.

Bake 55 to 60 minutes or until potatoes are tender.

Top with remaining cheese; bake 3 to 5 minutes or until cheese melts.

Let stand 5 minutes. Refrigerate leftovers.

I added 1 can cream of chicken soup and 1/2 cup milk

I only used 1 cup sour cream

I added most of cheese to potato mixture and sprinkled 1/4 cup on top

Meatball Skillet Meal

Serves: 8

Source: Home Ec Teachers-Meats 1962

1 egg

1/4 c. milk

1 c. soft bread crumbs

1/2 tsp. dry mustard

1/2 tsp. celery salt

1/4 tsp. pepper

1/4 tsp. nutmeg

3 tbsp. grated onion

1 lb. ground beef

1/4 c. flour

2 tbsp. fat

3/4 c. milk

1 can mushroom soup

1 pkg. mixed vegetables, canned or frozen

1/2 tsp. salt

Instructions: Combine egg, milk, and bread crumbs; add seasonings, onion, and ground beef.

Shape into balls; roll in flour. Brown meatballs, push to sides of frying pan.

Combine milk and soup in a bowl and pour into skillet. Place vegetables in center; add salt, bring to a boil; cover and reduce heat. Cook 10 minutes.

I used 1 cans of soup and a soup can of milk for sauce

Green Pepper Steak

Serves: 4

Ft. Worth Star Telegram 1996

2 Tbsp shortening ( I use Olive oil, but less than 2 Tbsp)

1 lb sirloin steak cut into 1/8" slices (I used round steak)

1 tsp salt

1/8 tsp pepper, or to taste

2 tsp minced onion

1 clove garlic, minced

2 cups beef bouillon

2 green peppers, diced

4 small tomatoes, quartered ( used 2 large)

4 Tbsp cornstarch

4 tsp soy sauce

1/2 cup water

Cooked rice, for serving

Heat shortening in heavy skillet. Add meat, salt and pepper, onion and garlic. Cook over moderately hot heat, stirring constantly, until meat is brown.

Add bouillon and green pepper. Cover tightly and cook over low heat for 10 minutes. Add tomatoes and cook over 1 minute longer. Blend together cornstarch, soy sauce and water. Add to skillet and cook 3 to 4 minutes longer, stirring constantly until mixture is hot and sauce is thickened. Serve over hot rice.

I tenderized steak with the Deni meat tenderizer (the device with blades)

Farmer's Supper

Serves: 6

One of our favorites

1-1/2 tb Fat ( I used olive oil and butter)

5 Potatoes, medium, peeled, thinly sliced

Salt

Pepper

1/2 c Chopped onion

1/2 c Chopped green pepper

2 c Ham, cut in julliene strips (I used SPAM)

4 Eggs (original recipe calls for 6 eggs)

1/2 cup milk

1/2 c Cheddar cheese, grated

I add 2 Tbsp parsley flakes

and 1 tsp garlic granules

Melt fat in large skillet. Spread half of the potato slices in skillet and sprinkle with salt and freshly ground pepper to taste. Top with half the onion and green pepper, sprinkle with seasonings again. Arrange half of the meat on top; repeat layers.

Cover and look over low heat 20 minutes, or until potatoes are tender. (I Turn over potatoes with large pancake turner and cook a little longer.) Break eggs on top; cover and cook until eggs are desired doneness, about 5 minutes.

(I mix eggs with ,milk with egg and cheese and pour mixture over top and let it cook until eggs are done)

Remove from heat, Top with cheese and cover a minute or two until cheese starts to melt.

( I use the Salad Shooter on this recipe to slice the potatoes into the pan and to shred a block of cheese into the pan)

Super Chicken Casserole

Serves: 4

6 oz medium noodles

1/2 med onion chopped

1 Tbsp butter or margarine

1 can cream of chicken soup

1/2 cup milk

1 can (5 oz) boned chicken or turkey ( I used 2 cans)

1/2 cup drained cooked lima beans

1/3 cup shredded cheddar cheese

Cook noodles in lightly salted water; drain. Meanwhile, cook onion in butter until golden brown; combine with soup, milk, chicken, beans and cooked noodles. Pour into a 1 qt. casserole; top with cheese.

Bake at 375 F for about 25 min or until hot and bubbling.

Note: 1 cup diced cooked chicken or turkey may be used.

Easy Italian Cucumber Salad

Serves: 6

3 to 4 Roma tomatoes (or your choice, about 1-1/2 Cups chopped)

1 large red onion, diced ( I used sliced white onion, about 1-1/2” long)

2 cucumbers, chopped ( I used Vidalia chopper, large blade) (can use genius chopper)

1 green pepper, sliced about 1-1/2” long)

1/2 cup bottled Italian Dressing (or your choice)

Place all vegetables in large bowl. Pour dressing over, stir. Cover and refrigerate for several hours before serving. Can be kept in the refrigerator for several days.

Unbelievable Pie

Magazine clipping 1980's

1 c. walnuts or pecans, chopped

1 graham cracker crust (I like Honey Maid)

1 square (1 oz) semi sweet chocolate

1 stick unsalted butter

1 c. sugar

1 tsp. vanilla

2 eggs, slightly beaten

Preheat oven to 350 F. Melt chocolate and butter in microwave about 30 seconds, and whisk until well blended. Whisk in sugar and vanilla.. Set aside. Sprinkle nuts into pie shell.

Beat small amount of warmed chocolate into beaten egg, then add to choclolate mixture until well blended Pour into pie crust over nuts (mixture will not fill pie crust). Bake until filling is puffed (about 30 minutes) If it is still too liquidy, bake a little longer. Cool completely. Serve warm or at room temperature with ice cream or whipped cream.

Super Contributor

Re: Some of the recipes we enjoyed last month at our house

Wow thank you so much for all these amazing recipes !!!

Respected Contributor

@TrishTX   What a wonderful variety of recipes you have so generously shared with us!

Thank you.  The Meatball Skillet and the Pepper Steak will be tried in my home soon. Maybe you'll join us in the monthly recipes game.

aroc3435

Washington, DC

Respected Contributor

This post is 7 years old.

?

Muddling through...
Honored Contributor

@sabatini wrote:

This post is 7 years old.

?

Uh OHHHH.  I did not even notice the recipes looked so great and down home.  I am still hungry all I have had today is water and one mini tootsie roll.  I told myself I could have one if I went at lunch and had my car state inspected and bought a gingerbread boy and girl for my two grandchildren.  The trick is not to eat them myself.  Meat and potato type meal sounds so much better now.Woman LOL

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Respected Contributor

@sabatini  So how did it suddenly appear?  I'm not a computer tech whiz bang type so I can't hazard a guess.  Didn't notice a date aand didn't look for one since it appeared as if it was a brand new post.

aroc3435

Washington, DCSmiley Happy

Respected Contributor

@aroc3435 wrote:

@sabatini  So how did it suddenly appear?  I'm not a computer tech whiz bang type so I can't hazard a guess.  Didn't notice a date aand didn't look for one since it appeared as if it was a brand new post.

aroc3435

Hi @aroc3435!

Want to hear something funny? I knew it was an old post before I even looked at the date, because I actually remembered it from its initial posting! LOL!

The way these old posts get resurrected is because someone bumps them up.

You can usually figure that the 1st poster you see below the old post is the bumpee. 

Personally I couldn't care less how old a post is, but do feel sorry for anyone who responds to it, since the original OP may be long gone.

Muddling through...
Respected Contributor

@sabatini wrote:

@aroc3435 wrote:

aroc3435

Hi @aroc3435!

Want to hear something funny? I knew it was an old post before I even looked at the date, because I actually remembered it from its initial posting! LOL!

The way these old posts get resurrected is because someone bumps them up.

You can usually figure that the 1st poster you see below the old post is the bumpee. 

Personally I couldn't care less how old a post is, but do feel sorry for anyone who responds to it, since the original OP may be long gone.

@sabatini, I remember it too!

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

OMGosh, @tiny 2 , that's funny! Nice to know I'm not the only one.

Muddling through...