Honored Contributor

So I made the cute Easter Bunny Cake IamMrsG posted.......

it was ok but not great. The design is CUTE and it's easy to put together. However, here is what you need to know:

1) Don't use the cake mix. It tastes NOTHING like carrot cake. In fact, it has no taste at all : (.  I don't know if this would work with a from scratch cake but I'll think it's worth a shot.

2) You need 2 cans of frosting, not 1

3) You need 2 cups of shredded coconut JUST for the bunny, not 1.

4) Toast the coconut first....it adds flavor to the non-flavor of the cake.

Again, very cute cake. Everyone loved it but the taste......there wasn't any. Shame.

Respected Contributor

Re: So I made the cute Easter Bunny Cake IamMrsG posted.......

@SahmIam  I am sorry to hear of your difficulties with the recipe.  

Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.
Valued Contributor

I made it today too.  But used a chocolate one layer cake recipe I had and 1 can of whipped whipped cream frosting.  One can BARELY covered the cake so I smooshed on the coconut to cover the bald spots.  I had a molting bunny but it tasted really good and was very cute!  Toasting the coconut is something I will try next year.  This was a hit with my family. I never make cakes so was not sure about canned frosting.  The whipped cream choice was not overly sweet which is a good thing for my family.  Thanks for posting the recipe @IamMrsG and I am sorry your bunny was not to your liking @SahmIam.

Respected Contributor

ceekay wrote, in part: " . . .Thanks for posting the recipe @IamMrsG . .  ."

You're welcome, @ceekay, but just to be clear, I did not post the recipe, per se.  The intention of my post was about the template to cut the bunny.  

Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.
Trusted Contributor

I made the bunny cake,too,but being celiac,I did my own thing with cake and icing. I took one to church for the Easter coffee hour and people loved it. It was cute and easy to make. Thanks IamMrsG.....this is the second recipe I've made of yours and another winner!

@IamMrsG

Honored Contributor

Lol,  there was no difficulty with the recipe, IamMrsG...it's easy to follow. I was just informing anyone interested in making it to be aware you'll need more than what they call for; who want's to be stuck with not enough frosting? Also, cake mixes are hit and miss: The Betty Crocker Carrot Cake one is a huge miss flavor-wise and something most people would like to know ahead of time.

The cake is adorable, without a doubt and the template is genius!