Super Contributor

Snickerdoodle cupcakes..would cinnamon chips and little bits of Snickers be 'too much' on top..?

[ Edited ]

I am making Snickerdoodle cupcakes for tomorrow's potluck..I am tired of making buttercream frosting, and I saw a couple online Snickerdoodle cupcake recipes that used (homemade) cream cheese frosting..Well, I am cheating and using canned cream cheese frosting. I also got miniature cinnamon chips to sprinkle on top of the cream cheese frosting. I saw an online recipe that they used bits of Snickers candy bars on top....Would it be 'too much' to use both the miniature cinnamon chips AND the little pieces of Snickers on top..?

Also, would they both "go" okay with the cream cheese frosting..? Thank you...

Trusted Contributor

Re: Snickerdoodle cupcakes..would cinnamon chips and little bits of Snickers be 'too much' on top..?

Are you kidding?  That sounds delicious!  Not fond of plain Snickerdoodle cookies, but these cupcakes sound wonderful!  I was also thinking that a chocolate toffee candy crumbled on top would be great, instead of Snickers.

Honored Contributor

Re: Snickerdoodle cupcakes..would cinnamon chips and little bits of Snickers be 'too much' on top..?

I think the cinnamon chips would be great but the Snickers pieces would be overload.  I must say, I think that canned cream cheese icing is ghastly and tastes like chemicals.  I'd much prefer buttercream.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

I agree with Kachina. They sound wonderful and I'd love the recipe, but leave off the candy bars.  The best thing about Snickerdoodles is the simplicity.  Keep it simple.

~ house cat ~
Super Contributor

Yeah..I think I will just go ahead and make buttercream again..lol 

The recipe is from a site called lovebakesgoodcakes and here is c&p: 

(I used 1 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon and 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg for the cake mix..and I obviously made cupcakes, not cake, they turned out fine!!) 

Snickerdoodle Cake
Originally from the Cake Mix Doctor by Anne Byrn
Printable recipe
Serves 16

For the cake:
Shortening and Flour, for greasing and dusting pans
1 pkg. (18.25 oz) plain white cake mix
1 cup milk
8 tbsp. (1 stick) butter, melted
3 large eggs
1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
2 tsp. ground cinnamon

For the frosting:
8 tbsp. (1 stick) butter, at room temperature
3-3/4 cups powdered sugar, sifted
3-4 tbsp. milk
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 tsp. ground cinnamon

Place rack in the center of the oven and preheat oven to 350 degrees F.  Generously grease two 9-in. cake pans with shortening, then dust with flour.  Shake out the excess flour and set pans aside.

Place the cake mix, milk, melted butter, eggs, vanilla and cinnamon in a large mixing bowl.  Blend with an electric mixer on low speed for 1 minute.  Stop the machine and scrape down the sides of the bowl with a rubber spatula.  Increase mixer speed to medium and beat 2 more minutes more, scrapping the sides down again, if needed.  The batter should look well combined.  Divide the batter evenly between the two pans, smoothing it out with a rubber spatula.  Place the pans in the oven side by side.

Bake the cakes until they are golden brown and spring back when lightly pressed with your finger, 27-29 minutes.  Remove the pans from the oven and place them on wire racks to cool for 10 minutes.  Run a dinner knife around the edge of each layer and invert each onto a rack, then invert them again onto another rack so the cakes are right-side up.  Allow them to cool completely, about 30 minutes.

Meanwhile, prepare the frosting by placing the butter in a large mixing bowl.  Blend with an electric mixer on low speed until fluffy, 30 seconds.  Stop the machine and add the powdered sugar, 3 tbsp. milk, vanilla and cinnamon.  Blend with the mixer on low until the sugar is incorporated, about 1 minute.  Increase the speed to medium and beat until light and fluffy, 1 minute more.  Blend in up to 1 tbsp. milk if the frosting seems stiff.

Place one cake layer, right side up, on a serving platter. Spread the top with frosting.  Place the second layer of cake on top of the first and frost the top and sides of the cake with clean, smooth strokes.

Place this cake, uncovered, in the refrigerator until the frosting sets, about 20 minutes.  

This cake can be kept, covered in the refrigerator, for up to 1 week.  Or freeze it, wrapped in aluminum foil, for up to 6 months.  Thaw the cake overnight in the refrigerator before serving.  
Honored Contributor

@msh8970 

Thank you for taking the time to post the recipe.  I love snickerdoodles.  You can switch over and make the buttercream if you wish to, but I would choose the cream cheese frosting, personally.  I've never tried the one from the can, but I think Kachina might be a little on the fussy side with her critique of it.  I'm sure the cupcakes will be quickly gobbled up and I can't imagine anyone having a problem with the store bought frosting. 

~ house cat ~
Super Contributor

@house_cat , you're welcome!!

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Despite their names, snickerdoodles and Snickers have nothing to do with each other; I don't think chocolate candy bars would be great on a snickerdoodle cupcake. And I'm sorry that you're not in a buttercream frosting mood, but I think that would be much tastier than cream cheese frosting to complement the snickerdoodle flavor. The cinnamon chips sound like a fun and delicious topping, though!

Super Contributor

@loriqvc wrote:

Despite their names, snickerdoodles and Snickers have nothing to do with each other; I don't think chocolate candy bars would be great on a snickerdoodle cupcake. And I'm sorry that you're not in a buttercream frosting mood, but I think that would be much tastier than cream cheese frosting to complement the snickerdoodle flavor. The cinnamon chips sound like a fun and delicious topping, though!

Yep..I will be up at the crack of dawn making buttercream!! Smiley Very Happy Smiley Wink

Esteemed Contributor

@msh8970 - Good luck with your fun treat! I'm sure the cupcakes will be delicious.  Smiley Happy