Respected Contributor

Instead of making my usual turkey breats for thanksgiving,other family member is bringing a smoked turkey. I am thinking we may need some different sides that will go better with a smoked bird. What do you serve with a smoked turkey on Thanksgiving? Sweet potatoes? Mashed potatoes? 

Esteemed Contributor

Lucky you! Smoked is the only way I like turkey! As far as side dishes, I don't think smoked turkey requires anything different. You're still having turkey, just with a bit different flavor.

Respected Contributor

@Trailrun23 :  We have smoked turkey every other year and if you have any potatoes how about sweet potatoes?  My preference is sweet potato pecan casserole (I know some folks say this is dessert). Broccoli rice casserole, squash casserole, cornbread dressing, caprese salad (if no fresh tomatoes then avocado), haricots vert, corn or corn casserole. Hopefully this is something to think about. Since smoke seasoning is heavier I like a few lighter, fresh veggie dishes (I just won't do without my cornbread dressing). Enjoy your Thanksgiving and being with one another.

Respected Contributor

I think all the usual sides go just as well with a smoked turkey as a roasted turkey.

Super Contributor

My husband is smoking us a turkey for Thanksgiving. Brining it for 24 hours first. I just make the normal sides. Mashed potatoes and gravy, stuffing, cranberries, sweet potatoes, homemade rolls, pistachio pudding salad. and I make cheesecake.

Esteemed Contributor

@Trailrun23  You will be fine with the regular sides, but I always like Mac and Cheese when we smoke something. We usually smoke it along with the meat, but you can add smoked Gouda or Cheddar to the cheese mix. Also, Brussels sprouts sauteed with bacon and shallots would be a nice addition.

Trusted Contributor

As far as my taste buds go, smoking a turkey requires the sides you would serve with barbecue.   But I seem to be in the minority. 

Honored Contributor

We still do the traditional ones, turkey is turkey.  Even when we do Cajun turkey still do the same sides.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Respected Contributor

I serve the same sides with a smoke turkey as I would a roasted turkey. Nothing different.

Honored Contributor

@Trailrun23 

We have smoked our turkeys for years.

I make the exact same sides I did when I baked the bird...except....my dressing/stuffing is now a side dish instead of coming out of the bird.

We have read mixed info on whether you can smoke a stuffed bird, so we haven't done it.

The flavors do not compete in any way w/ the usual mash, sweet, corn, etc etc.