Respected Contributor

Pork and Kraut on New Year's Day is traditionally supposed to bring in good luck, and we all know some good luck this year would be appreciated.  So, here is my smoked spare ribs and kraut made and eaten yesterday. 20210101_144630.jpg

Cinderella is proof that a new pair of shoes can change your life!
Honored Contributor

Re: Smoked Spare Ribs and Kraut

My mouth is watering.  Could you post where I can find your recipe, or the recipe itself?  Thanks.  

Respected Contributor

We've always eaten pickled herring on New Year's to bring good luck and prosperity. It's a tradition passed down through our family from Danish ancestors.

Respected Contributor

@deepwaterdotter wrote:

My mouth is watering.  Could you post where I can find your recipe, or the recipe itself?  Thanks.  

Here is my recipe...as indicated I use smoked pork spare ribs for this recipe not raw pork spare ribs..

SMOKED PORK SPARE RIBS AND SAUERKRAUT

• 2 large jars of sauerkraut, drained and rinsed if it’s two salty/sour (I drained both jars but only rinsed one jar with water.  
  • 1 rack of smoked pork ribs, sliced in individual  pieces along the bone
  • 1 tablespoon black peppercorns or some regular black pepper
  • 2 bay leaves 
  • 1/4 to 1/2  cup tomato sauce, not more it’s really for color
  •   extra virgin olive oil
  • 2 Tablespoons butter
  •  A few light shakes of Hungarian Hot paprika (optional) I use it

In a large Dutch oven, brown the smoked sliced ribs in about 2 Tablespoons of hot olive oil for only about 2 minutes on each side to get them a little brown.  Use Med/high heat.  The oil may splatter a little, so you can use the lid, if necessary. Take the ribs out after the browning and put on a plate.   In the Dutch oven put about 2 Tablespoons of olive oil and layer one jar of kraut in the pot, top with half the ribs and then put some more kraut on top then add the last of the ribs ending with remaining kraut to the top of the ribs. Then add the peppercorns or black pepper, bay leaves, butter and water and  cover and cook on low for 50-60 minutes stirring occasionally.  Take top off and the tomato sauce and a little of the Hungarian hot paprika. Stir through to mix. Cook uncovered another 10 minutes on low. Stir and serve.. Good served with mashed potatoes and a vegetable.  

**NOTE:  THIS RECIPE USES SMOKED PORK SPARE RIBS NOT FRESH RAW PORK SPARE RIBS...  I get the smoked pork ribs in a Polish store or you can find smoked pork ribs in speciality stores that carry smoked meats.  

Honored Contributor

@ciao_bella Thanks for taking the time to post your recipe.  I will smoke a rack of ribs at home for this dish.

Respected Contributor

@deepwaterdotter  You're quite welcome!  Let me know how it comes out... and post a picture too!

Esteemed Contributor

@ciao_bella wrote:

Pork and Kraut on New Year's Day is traditionally supposed to bring in good luck, and we all know some good luck this year would be appreciated.  So, here is my smoked spare ribs and kraut made and eaten yesterday. 20210101_144630.jpg

@ciao_bella .... this looks so good!!!!!!

Respected Contributor

@January121 wrote:

@ciao_bella wrote:

@ciao_bella .... this looks so good!!!!!!

Thank you...it is delicious!