Respected Contributor

Anyone have a "one pot recipe" using smoked sausage? Maybe with cabbage carrots, potatoes, onions, peppers, etc. I want to make it for dinner. 

"Kindness is like snow ~It beautifies everything it covers"
-Kahlil Gibran
Honored Contributor

I make a concoction where I slice sausage into rounds and brown with a large sliced onion and a thinly sliced bell pepper.  After veggies are soft, I add a large can of hominy and simmer until liquid is gone.  Quick and easy.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

Sausage, Cabbage and Potato Skillet Meal

Don't ya just love skillet meals, I know I do! This one cooks in stages then is put all together at the end, but still only uses 1 skillet. With another side and cornbread and it's a complete meal.

1 medium head green cabbage, coarsely chopped
1/2 pound smoked sausage, cut in 1/2" slices or half moons
2 medium baking potatoes, unpeeled and cubed
1 medium onion, chopped (about 1/2 cup)
2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
1 tablespoon butter
1/4 cup water or chicken broth (or 1/2 tsp bouillon dissolved in 1/4 cup hot water)
Seasoned salt, garlic salt, regular or kosher salt, black pepper, crushed red pepper flakes (to taste)

In a large, deep skillet or Dutch oven, heat 1 tablespoon olive oil on med-high heat. Add sausage and onion; sprinkle with a pinch of salt and pepper and saute until sausage and onion are beginning to lightly brown. Remove from skillet and set aside.

In the same skillet, (no need to wipe it) heat 1 tablespoon olive oil. Add potatoes, stirring to coat evenly with the oil. Sprinkle with a pinch of salt and pepper. COVER the skillet and cook until potatoes are lightly browned on one side. Flip or gently stir potatoes; cover and cook another few minutes or until evenly browned and tender to almost tender (check doneness with a toothpick). Remove from heat and add to the same dish with the sausage and onion.

In that same skillet, melt 1 tablespoon butter. Add the cabbage and sprinkle with desired seasonings. Cook and stir until cabbage wilts. Add water (or chicken broth). COVER skillet and cook 5 minutes.

Stir and continue to cook UNCOVERED until most or all of the liquid is absorbed, stirring occasionally. Add the potatoes and sausage mixture back to the skillet of cabbage, tossing gently to combine. Taste and adjust seasonings and sprinkle with crushed red peppers if desired. If potatoes and/or cabbage aren't quite tender, COVER the skillet and continue to cook another few minutes.

(NOTE: Other meats such as cooked and cubed ham or corned beef may be substituted for the sausage.)

Respected Contributor

Thank you @Zhills and @Kachina624 !

I'm going to try @Kachina624  recipe as I have all the ingredients for it. @Zhills  I've  never had canned hominy but I'm assuming it's the same as grits(?) I'll  look it up and try it another time. Thank you both for responding!😋

"Kindness is like snow ~It beautifies everything it covers"
-Kahlil Gibran
Honored Contributor

@Starpolisher    Hominy is not at all like grits.  It's puffed up kernels of corn, not a grain.  Comes in white or yellow...no difference except for color.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

This is a slow cooker recipe I've used for quite a few years:

Smoked Sausage with Sauerkraut & Apples

1 smoked sausage or kielbasa, sliced in 1" slices

1/3 cup chopped onion

2 apples, peeled and quartered

1 can (14 oz) sauerkraut with caraway seeds, drained (I use 2 cans - DH loves sauerkraut)

1/3 cup packed brown sugar

1 cup apple juice or water

Add ingredients to slow cooker in order above.

Cook on High for 1 hour, and then cook on Low for 2 hours.

I usually serve this with the already-prepared mashed potatoes (Main St. Bistro or Jimmy Dean).

Respected Contributor
Warm Potato Salad with Smoked Sausage

For best flavors, assemble while the potatoes are still warm, but serve the salad at room temperature.

2 pounds (about 12) new potatoes
3 Tablespoons olive oil
2 Tablespoons white wine vinegar
2 Tablespoons Dijon mustard
1 cup sliced green onions
12 ounces smoked sausage, sliced diagonally ½” thick

Garnish: cherry tomatoes & chicory leaves

Boil the potatoes until tender.  Drain.  Cut into wedges.

Stir oil, vinegar, mustard and green onions in a deep bowl until blended.  Add sausage, toss to coat.  Add potatoes and toss again.

Cool to room temperature.

Salad can be stored in refrigerator up to two days.  Bring to room temperature before serving.

Garnish with chicory and cherry tomatoes.

Mrs. G's Notes:  A white wine goes well with this.  Hard cooked eggs are a nice garnish.  Serve with rye horns.
Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.