Esteemed Contributor

Re: Slow-Cooker Mac and Cheese ~ my hubby's favorite 👍👍

@house_cat 

@Kachina624 

@fthunt 

LOL!  Happy to meet you!   Now I can crawl out from behind my rock-thought I was the ONLY person alive that just never gets this dish!   I love cheese but the only pasta I like is Chinese lo mein!.  The entire family loves mac and cheese and I have had more than enough just tasting to adjust seasoning when I prepare it.   It never tastes right to me but I never have left overs either.  Anytime I make mac and cheese, I keep asking myself-is this really what people make a fuss over?!   Thanks for sharing this recipe and thanks to others for their reviews of it.  Will store this one in my mac and cheese file.  

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Free2be wrote:

I did some on-line checking.  Curdling can occur from using low fat ingredients or over cooking the cheese.

I'll take the cheese out early to allow it to come to room temp before adding and stop the cooking process as soon as it is done.  Slow cooking seems logical to keep it creamy.

@Free2be - It sounds like you may be talking about two different things: the eggs potentially curdling and the cheese potentially separating, both of which affect the overall texture of the dish. Omitting the eggs or using just the yolks could help prevent the first situation. As for the cheese, starting it at room temperature is unlikely to make a difference with the long cooking time (whether you use the slow cooker or oven), and you have other dairy in the recipe as well—if you don't substitute low-fat milks or margarine, you should be fine. (I'd also recommend using freshly grated cheese again, but we know you're using what you've got.)

Honestly, I've never had any troubles with this recipe whether I've made it in the slow cooker or oven; if you're really worried, I'd suggest using the oven because you're likely to have more consistent heat and a shorter overall cook time. Good luck!

ETA: I keep meaning to add this to my other notes, but if you're going to cook the pasta first, definitely only do so for half the time on the package, or you'll end up with macaroni mush. Ewww. I also like using celentani instead of elbows.

Respected Contributor

I loved my Mother's M&C and it is so simple.

Cook macaroni.   Add grated cheese (I'm pretty sure she used either colby or longhorn)   , splash of milk, dab of butter, salt and pepper.   Mix all in a dish and bake.   

No sauce to make, no eggs to curdle....  just macaroni coated in cheese.  Lots of extra cheese on top, of course.

I also love Trader Joe's Guiltless mac and cheese.   I tried their regular and didn't care for it.  

Honored Contributor

I've made other baked mac and cheese recipes that start out with a white sauce, no eggs, but I've only made this one three times and I don't recall any curdling the other times.  It could have something to do with the fact that I went out and left him with it.  I told him to turn it off at 6 pm, but I have a feeling it didn't happen quite that way.

~ house cat ~
Honored Contributor

my most favorite mac n cheese recipe is on the inside of the box of velveeta cheese.....i change it up just a little and use part velveeta, part shredded cheese (can vary the cheese.)

this recipe sounds good @house_cat  and will definitely try it.

i have rarely met a mac and cheese i didnt like. Smiley Wink

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Respected Contributor

I finally got around to making this mac and cheese today.  DH declared it was better than the box mix.  The best part for me was I used up some excess cheese and it was an easy dinner to make.  

Esteemed Contributor

Thanks for the recipe OP! I love Mac and cheese and never get tired of seeing new recipes.  I'm sure your hubby enjoyed this one very much.  Smiley Happy