Contributor

Slow Cooker Chicken Cordon Bleu

I tried this recipe that I found on the internet. Thought it was a good one. (Can't remember where- sorry)

SLOW COOKER – CHICKEN CORDON BLEU

· 4-6 Boneless, skinless Chicken Breasts

· 4 to 6 slices Swiss or Provolone cheese

· 4 to 6 thin slices smoked ham

· 1/4 to 1/2 cup all-purpose flour to shake the chicken in

HOMEMADE SAUCE:

· 1 Cup milk

· 1 cup whipping cream

· 1 cup chicken broth

· 1 1/2 cups Cheddar, Swiss or Colby cheese-grated

· 1/2 cup of grated Parmesan cheese (opt)

· 2 tablespoons butter or use 1 tablespoon butter and 1 tablespoon bacon grease (more is needed)

· 2 heaping tablespoons flour

· 1/2 tsp. onion powder or use sauteed onions instead

· 1/2 tsp. pepper

· 1 tsp. salt

· 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoons red pepper flakes (opt)

· 2 teaspoons white granulated sugar

·

· INSTRUCTIONS:

1. Place chicken breasts between sheets of plastic wrap. Using a mallet, pound each chicken breast to 1/4? thickness. If you don’t have a mallet, a can of vegetables work well.

2. Season each piece of chicken with salt & pepper.

3. Place 1 cheese slice and 1 ham slice on each breast.

4. Roll up each breast (tucking loose ends in if necessary) and using a toothpick, secure the ends.

5. Dredge each in flour & shake off any excess.

6. In a skillet, add a few tablespoons of oil and turn your heat to med/high. When the oil is hot, carefully place your chicken rolls in the skillet and brown both sides of the chicken until nice and golden brown.

Directions for Sauce:

Over medium heat, melt butter and add the salt, pepper, pepper flakes, onion powder and the sugar. Whisk together. Add the flour, and stir quickly until the roux is bubbly and smooth. Add the broth, cream & milk & Continue whisking over med. heat until it has thickened – about 10 minutes. Turn heat to low!

Add the grated cheeses. (Cheddar, Colby, Swiss & Parmesan) Stir well until nice and smooth and creamy.

Note: I added Colby to my sauce, but placed Swiss inside the chicken. It was very good. If the sauce seems a bit too thick after all the cheese has been added, simply add a bit of chicken broth or milk and stir well. This sauce should not be as thick as pancake batter. You will want it a bit thinner. If you want additional seasonings add them now.

Pour the sauce over top the browned chicken in the slow cooker and cover with a lid. CAUTION: Every slow cooker – cooks differently! When the chicken is fork tender, and falls apart easily…it is done.

Approximate cooking time: Heat on low for 5 to 6 hours or on high for 3 to 4 hours. Stir sauce in slow cooker occasionally. (My slow cooker gets really hot around the edges)

Note: You can also bake this in the oven: 9×13 inch glass baking dish. Cover the chicken with foil, and bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for about 60 minutes or until chicken is fork tender. Cooking time will also depend on the thickness of your chicken breast rolls. When it pulls apart easily with a fork, it’s ready and tender.

Note: I don’t care for Cream of Chicken or Mushroom canned soups, but you can also use 2 cans of soup and 1 can of milk together to take the place of the homemade sauce.