Respected Contributor

Slow-Cooked Onions with Tarragon Mustard Sauce

Talking with everyone all morning about Onion Soup got me to thinking about a sidedish I haven't made in years.  I don't know why I haven't, because it is downright delicious and perfect for this time of year.  There was 'no having it' until I found the cookbook and could add the recipe to my computer files.  I think you will enjoy:

Slow-Cooked Onions with Tarragon Mustard Sauce

Williams-Sonoma Kitchen Library | Outdoor Cooking

Serves 4
Serve these with grilled meats or poultry.

For the Tarragon Mustard Sauce:
2 Tablespoons white wine vinegar or tarragon vinegar
2 Tablespoons Dijon mustard
1/3 cup (3 fl. oz.) olive oil
2 Tablespoons chopped fresh tarragon or 1 teaspoon dried tarragon
1/4 teaspoon salt
pinch of freshly ground black pepper

For the onions:
4 yellow onions
3 Tablespoons olive oil
½ teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

Prepare a fire for indirect-heat cooking in a covered grill. Position the grill rack 4-6 inches above the fire.

To prepare the tarragon mustard sauce, in a small bowl, whisk together the vinegar and mustard. Slowly add the olive oil, whisking constantly to form a smooth, creamy sauce. Whisk in the tarragon, salt and pepper. Cover and set aside.

To prepare the onions, peel them carefully; take care to keep their layers intact at the root ends, which will help hold them together during cooking. Using a sharp knife and starting at the stem end, slice an X in each onion to within about 1 inch of the root end. In a large bowl, toss the onions with the olive oil, salt and pepper.

Place the onions on the center of the rack, cover the grill and open the vents halfway. Cook, turning the onions every 15-20 minutes, until they are tender when pierced with the tip of a sharp knife, 45-50 minutes total.

To serve, transfer the onions to a platter and drizzle some of the sauce over them. Serve hot, warm or at room temperature. Pass the remaining sauce at the table.

Mrs. G's note:  I have not done it, but see no reason why this could not be accomplished in the oven, maybe @ 375º.

Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.
Honored Contributor

Re: Slow-Cooked Onions with Tarragon Mustard Sauce

@IamMrsG - you post some great recipes.  This one sounds delish. Heart   All you need is some crusty french bread, yum! And a nice grilled rib eye steak Woman Wink

The hottest places in hell are reserved for those who, in times of great moral crisis, maintain their neutrality ~  Dante Alighieri
Trusted Contributor

@Chi-town girl wrote:

@IamMrsG - you post some great recipes.  This one sounds delish. Heart   All you need is some crusty french bread, yum! And a nice grilled rib eye steak Woman Wink

OH MERCY - this sounds delicious !!!  

Valued Contributor

@sktchy wrote:

@Chi-town girl wrote:

OH MERCY - this sounds delicious !!!  

@IamMrsG

@Chi-town girl

@sktchy

f8ce9454835a7bec6a36ad15eda19c11.jpg

Honored Contributor

My mother's favorite side dish for Christmas dinner was creamed onions.  I remember peeling and slicing those strong winter onions and crying like a baby.  I tell you those creamed onions weren't worth the pain!

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment