Valued Contributor

Today I made Katie Lee's version that she had on an episode of the Kitchen recently. It makes a lot. It turned out really good, we ate it on a pile of spaghetti with cheese and chopped onions, neither of us wanted the beans.

To me it sounded kind of gross putting raw ground chuck into the wet sauce ingredients, but it turned out fine. All the meat fell apart into tiny crumbles. It would also be good on a hot dog for coney sauce!

I would post her recipe but I'm not sure if I know how. 

Respected Contributor

Re: Skyline Chili

[ Edited ]

This is the first time that I've read about Cincinnati chili posted here.  I'm an OH native and love all versions of OH chili including Skyline and Dixie.  I used to order cans from Dixie to be sent to my house in CA, but have recently started making my own from a recipe found online.

Valued Contributor

@gulf coast girl  I posted Katie's recipe on your behalf.  I am going to make it, sounds good.

Cincinnati-Style Chili… Katie Lee Biegel

Chili:

16 ounces tomato sauce

12 ounces tomato paste

1 yellow onion, grated

2 tablespoons chili powder 2 tablespoons cocoa powder 2 tablespoons sugar

2 teaspoons kosher salt

1 teaspoon ground cinnamon

1 teaspoon ground cumin

1 teaspoon garlic salt

1/2 teaspoon ground allspice

1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper

1/4 teaspoon ground cloves

2 bay leaves

2 pounds ground beef (I use chuck)

1 tablespoon white wine vinegar

For Serving:

1 pound spaghetti, cooked according to package directions and tossed in olive oil to prevent sticking

One 15-ounce can kidney beans, drained

1 white onion, diced

Two 8-ounce blocks Cheddar, grated Hot sauce

optional…

Oyster crackers, for serving

Directions:

1. For the chili:

In a stockpot or Dutch oven, combine the tomato sauce,

tomato paste, onions, chili powder,

cocoa powder, sugar, kosher salt,

cinnamon, cumin, garlic salt, allspice,

pepper, cayenne, cloves, bay leaves,

beef (do not brown first) and 2 cups

water.

Mix until combined.

Cover and simmer over medium-low heat for approximately 2 hours.

Stir in the vinegar and simmer for another 30 minutes.

1. To serve: Serve on a bed of spaghetti and top with the beans, onions and a mound of cheese (or any preferred combination). Add hot sauce, if desired, and eat with oyster crackers.

Cook’s Note

This chili can also be served on hot dogs and used for burritos.

may good luck be your friend in whatever you do
and may trouble be always a stranger to you
Honored Contributor

I always knew they put some chocolate in it; didn't realize it was cocoa powder which makes sense. The one time I had it I was actually in Cincinnati! It wasn't my favorite chili. I like Wendy's better. Even though I don't like beans I do like Wendy's chili. (Wendy's is also an Ohio company).

Valued Contributor

Thank you Chicagoan, that was nice of you and now everyone can make it. It's really good!

Honored Contributor

I thought Cincinnati Chili always had a tiny amount of cinnamon too. 🤷‍♀️ 

A number of years ago we were in Kentucky, bordering Cincy.  So, as they say, when in Rome....  We visited Skyline Chili, had the chili over spaghetti.  OMG, the plate was so overloaded and there had to be 2 cups of shredded cheese on top.  I can say that I've been there, but won't go again - I didn't care for the chili.  I like more of a traditional recipe.