Respected Contributor

Skillet Buttered Noodles...No-Boil/No-Drain

Thought you might be interested in this. (Note: This is not low-sodium or low-cal; adjust as needed.) DH loves these, and so did the kids. You cook the noodles in a straight-sided 12" *skillet* instead of boiling in a pot, then draining.

° 12-oz pkg of wide egg noodles (I use Light 'n Fluffy)

° 3 1/2 cups water

° Chicken bouillon for the 3 1/2 cups water (I use the Knorr's cubes, but you can use granules, Better Than Bouillon, or 3 1/2 cups chicken broth)

° One stick butter, *separated*

In skillet, bring water, bouillon, and *half-stick* of butter to a quick boil, stirring to ensure bouillon is dissolved. Add dry noodles, and stir (small silicone spatula works best).

Bring noodles to quick boil. Reduce heat to medium, cover, and cook for 7 minutes, stirring frequently.

After 7 minutes, add remaining half-stick of butter, and cook, uncovered, for 1 minute, while stirring.

Remove from heat, cover, and let sit for 3 minutes. These should be al dente, with a slight buttery sauce. Butter can be reduced, and water increased until you get your desired consistency, but this has always worked for us.

This recipe makes A LOT, but any leftovers can be refrigerated, and added to soups and stews. You can also add a handful of frozen peas (they'll cook during the 3-minute "set" time). Also, I like them as is, but some add parmesan to their serving.

Again, we prefer the aggressive (ie, salty 😳) flavoring of dried bouillon; you may have to adjust for this if using a different type.

Enjoy!

What worries you masters you.
Honored Contributor

Re: Skillet Buttered Noodles...No-Boil/No-Drain

this sounds so good and easy!

PLUS you can change out the bouillon depending on what you are serving with it.....chicken, beef, ham, shellfish/fish, mushroom , vegetable, garlic, turkey. i am a fan of better than bouillon.

i could see adding chopped asparagus or broccoli, roasted garlic, zucchini, squash.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

My MIL used to make a dish like this at Thanksgiving.

Honored Contributor

This falls under the ' learn something new everyday ' column for me. Thanks.

Respected Contributor

Interestng topic, because I'm about to experiment with a version of something that I recall my mother making.

She would saute cooked egg noodles until they were just about crisp but not too crisp.

I want to combine fried egg noodles with cabbage..............no idea how it might turn out, but I'm hungry for experimentation!!  

I have a recipe saved in my files for such a dish, but if anyone else has a related dish that actually turns out well, please post.

Esteemed Contributor

Made these noodles for dinner.  

For 1...I used  

11/2 C noodles (I had the wide ones) 4 oz

1 Cup chicken broth

3 T butter, divided.

Followed directions given.

Very tasty! Will definitely be a staple around here now!  Thanks for the recipe!

Esteemed Contributor

Thanks, @Moonlady - this sounds great! I have a bag of egg noodles in the cupboard, so I think I'll be trying this out in the next couple of days. And thanks to @Zhills as well for the testing of the smaller-size version; that will be helpul if it ends up just being me with a bowl of noodles.  Smiley Wink