Honored Contributor

Re: Signature Thanksgiving holiday dish?

Probably my Kentucky Derby Pie. 

Trusted Contributor

@deepwaterdotter wrote:

My mother's recipe for candied sweet potatoes.  My brothers always bring along a container for the leftovers.

@deepwaterdotter do you make yours in a skillet?  I've tried to make them like my mom and they just aren't the same.  She used to use canned sweet potatoes and saute with butter and brown suger.  They were so good!

Esteemed Contributor

@Knit-Chick wrote:

@deepwaterdotter wrote:

My mother's recipe for candied sweet potatoes.  My brothers always bring along a container for the leftovers.

@deepwaterdotter do you make yours in a skillet?  I've tried to make them like my mom and they just aren't the same.  She used to use canned sweet potatoes and saute with butter and brown suger.  They were so good!

Pardon the intrusion....

My DM always did pan-fried candied sweet potatoes, too. She would peel & slice the potatoes and slow fry w/ (it was probably margarine) butter. After they softened, (which took a long time) she would pour dark Karo over them. Oh, so good!

She never did get the hang of heating the pan first because they always stuck to that pan like crazy!

I've never done them this way because ... well, isn't brown sugar "healthier" than corn syrup?

Trusted Contributor

@Harpa wrote:

@Knit-Chick wrote:

@deepwaterdotter wrote:

Pardon the intrusion....

My DM always did pan-fried candied sweet potatoes, too. She would peel & slice the potatoes and slow fry w/ (it was probably margarine) butter. After they softened, (which took a long time) she would pour dark Karo over them. Oh, so good!

She never did get the hang of heating the pan first because they always stuck to that pan like crazy!

I've never done them this way because ... well, isn't brown sugar "healthier" than corn syrup?

Oh I'm so glad you posted!  Thank you!  that reminded me that my mom always used margarine,  I think mostly because it was cheaper than butter.  Your DM's recipe sounds good and sticky!  It's just me and my hubby this year for Thanksgiving.  I think I'm going to try to make a pan of these again.  Thanks again!

Honored Contributor

I make mine in a big pot, but I think a skillet would work too.  But I use peeled fresh sweet potatoes cut into 1" chunks.  I simmer them in butter, brown sugar, water, salt, and pepper.

Trusted Contributor

@deepwaterdotter  thank you!  do the potatoes get soft?  I'll have to try using fresh potatoes!

Honored Contributor

@Knit-Chick wrote:

@deepwaterdotter  thank you!  do the potatoes get soft?  I'll have to try using fresh potatoes!

After bringing the potatoes and sauce to a simmer, I lower the heat, cover the pot, and let them cook until tender.  Then I take off the cover and simmer over medium heat until sauce is thickened.

Respected Contributor

@ECBG wrote:

@KatieB wrote:

@ECBG wrote:

@lovesrecess wrote:
Do you make your cornbread in muffin tins or an iron skillet?

@lovesrecess 

A cast iron skillet is much healthier.Smiley Happy

How is using a cast iron skillet more healthy?  @ECBG 

@KatieB Cooking in a cast iron skillet causes the food to pick up iron.  My major covered a lot of food science.  Cast iron has helped people stay healthy for generations.

("Non stick" never ment frying eggs.  It meant cornbread and fried meats, vegetables, and other dishes.).

@ECBG  My degree is in Home Economics and I've never heard that before, when in school or since then.  I don't think it was discussed in my Theurapeutic Nutrition classes or in my Food Science classes.   Although it makes sense that you're going to get a small amount of iron since the pan is make of iron, I'll check my books to see what they say.  

Honored Contributor

@KatieB wrote:

@ECBG wrote:

@KatieB wrote:

@ECBG wrote:

@lovesrecess wrote:
Do you make your cornbread in muffin tins or an iron skillet?

@lovesrecess 

A cast iron skillet is much healthier.Smiley Happy

How is using a cast iron skillet more healthy?  @ECBG 

@KatieB Cooking in a cast iron skillet causes the food to pick up iron.  My major covered a lot of food science.  Cast iron has helped people stay healthy for generations.

("Non stick" never ment frying eggs.  It meant cornbread and fried meats, vegetables, and other dishes.).

@ECBG  My degree is in Home Economics and I've never heard that before, when in school or since then.  I don't think it was discussed in my Theurapeutic Nutrition classes or in my Food Science classes.   Although it makes sense that you're going to get a small amount of iron since the pan is make of iron, I'll check my books to see what they say.  

@KatieB  I've read awhile ago that this is true. I actually forgot all about it.

Honored Contributor

Nothing.  My mom ruled the roost, decided the menu, made the food.  

EXCEPT my aunt made home made creamed corn (she cut the corn off the cob in the summer and froze it) and there would have been a riot without that. We gobbled it up first!  LOL!!!  And wished we had more for dessert!