Trusted Contributor

Re: Signature Thanksgiving holiday dish?

@lovesrecess wrote:
I have tried to find a healthier way to serve sweet potatoes...with less brown sugar and butter...I tried baked sweet potatoes with some cinnamon sugar, a pat of butter, and a few mini marshmallows melted on top...the sad faces around the table were ridiculous. My family does not like new things at Thanksgiving unless the foods they are used to are still there.

@lovesrecess 

I found this recipe several years ago for sweet potatoes that's a wonderful mix of flavors and certainly a different way to serve sweet potatoes without a concentration on syrupy sweetness.  It's delicious!!  I think it may be a healthier preparation of sweet potatoes that you're in search of.

Roasted Sweet Potato Salad with Warm Chutney Dressing

Salad:
4 medium-sized sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
5 TBS olive oil
1 TBS finely chopped fresh rosemary
1 tsp salt, plus more as needed
1 tsp freshly ground black pepper, plus more as needed
1/2 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1 cup raw green pumpkin seeds (also known as pepitas)
1 cup dried cranberries
1 cup chopped scallions (green and white)
1 cup julienned roasted red pepper

Dressing:
6 TBS balsamic vinegar
1/3 cup mango chutney
2 TBS Dijon mustard
2 TBS honey
2 garlic cloves, minced
1/4 cup olive oil

Make the Salad: Preheat oven to 425° F. In a roasting pan, combine the potatoes, 3 tablespoons of the olive oil, rosemary, salt, pepper, cumin and ginger. Stir to combine and bake until the potatoes are fork-tender and golden brown, about 25 to 30 minutes.

Meanwhile, heat the remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Add the pumpkin seeds and cook, stirring, until toasted. Transfer the seeds to a plate and season with salt and pepper. In a small bowl, combine the cranberries, scallions, and red pepper and set aside.

Make the Dressing: Prepare the dressing by combining all the ingredients (except for the olive oil) in a small saucepan and heat. Remove from heat and whisk in the olive oil.

Assemble salad by gently tossing the roasted potatoes with the red pepper mixture. Add enough of the dressing to coat and garnish with toasted pumpkin seeds. Serve with extra dressing on the side.

Highlighted
Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

@beach-mom wrote:

We are never home for Thanksgiving, but we make Thanksgiving" dinner Christmas Day. We will be home this year though. DD usually goes to a "Friendsgiving" with her friends from high school. One girl always hosts and makes the turkey and the others bring sides and desserts. That won't be happening either, but here is what she usually makes. They always tell her to make this:

Miranda's Corn Casserole 

1 (14.75 oz.) can creamed corn

1 (11.25 oz.) corn - don't drain

1 cup uncooked macaroni 

1/2 cup butter

8 oz. shredded cheddar cheese

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Mix first three ingredients together. Slice butter, and mix butter and cheese into the corn mixture. Place in a buttered casserole dish. Cover. Bake 30 minutes. Uncover, stir, and bake uncovered 30 minutes more.

*DD usually makes this in an 8" x 8" square dish. It's good!  Smiley Happy

@beach-mom 

I made this recipe the other day as part of a meal I was taking to someone who was alone.  It was a delicious comforting side.  Thank you!

Honored Contributor

@shy bobcat - I'm so glad you enjoyed it! DD is making it for us Thursday.  Smiley Happy

Esteemed Contributor

@alicedee wrote:

Mr. Food Sweet Potato Casserole.  It is delicious, and I get asked to bring it each year.  

I use walnuts, instead of pecans.

• 1 cup chopped pecans
  • 1 cup packed light brown sugar
  • 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, softened, divided
  • 1/4 cup sweetened flaked coconut (optional)
  • 2 (29-ounce) cans sweet potatoes, drained and mashed
  • 3/4 cup granulated sugar
  • 2 eggs
  • 1/2 cup milk
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
What to Do

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Coat a 3-quart casserole dish with cooking spray.

2. In a medium bowl, combine pecans, brown sugar, flour, 1/4 cup butter, and the coconut, if desired; mix until crumbly, then set aside.

3. In a large bowl, combine remaining ingredients, including remaining butter; mix well. Spoon into casserole dish and sprinkle evenly with pecan mixture.

4. Bake 45 to 50 minutes, or until bubbly and heated through.

@alicedee , I saw this post and I made it.  Ohmgosh...it was deliciious!!!!  thanks for posting it.

Respected Contributor

@Wsmom wrote:

@alicedee wrote:

Mr. Food Sweet Potato Casserole.  It is delicious, and I get asked to bring it each year.  

I use walnuts, instead of pecans.

• 1 cup chopped pecans
  • 1 cup packed light brown sugar
  • 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, softened, divided
  • 1/4 cup sweetened flaked coconut (optional)
  • 2 (29-ounce) cans sweet potatoes, drained and mashed
  • 3/4 cup granulated sugar
  • 2 eggs
  • 1/2 cup milk
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
What to Do

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Coat a 3-quart casserole dish with cooking spray.

2. In a medium bowl, combine pecans, brown sugar, flour, 1/4 cup butter, and the coconut, if desired; mix until crumbly, then set aside.

3. In a large bowl, combine remaining ingredients, including remaining butter; mix well. Spoon into casserole dish and sprinkle evenly with pecan mixture.

4. Bake 45 to 50 minutes, or until bubbly and heated through.

@alicedee , I saw this post and I made it.  Ohmgosh...it was deliciious!!!!  thanks for posting it.

@Wsmom I'm so glad you liked it...to me it tastes like dessert lol!  🌷👍