Respected Contributor

Re: Signature Thanksgiving holiday dish?

@ECBG wrote:

@tiny 2 wrote:

@ECBG wrote:

@Azcowgirl wrote:

Pink fluff cherry fruit salad 🍒

eta....well known recipe, but I always get asked to make it .☺️

@Azcowgirl 

I have never heard of this.  Is it regional?  I'd love to see the recipe.

@ECBG 

Sep 2, 2009 7:51 PM

Fluffy Pink Salad... posted by: Camellia Cottage

1 lg. can crushed pineapple, drained
1 can cherry or strawberry pie filling
1 cup chopped nuts, pecans or walnuts
1 can sweetened condensed milk
1 Tbsp. lemon juice
1 cup sour cream
12-ounce Cool~Whip
Mix all together & refrigerate

@tiny 2 

Thank you!  It's very similar to a Millionaire pie.Smiley Happy

@ECBG,  You are welcome! It caused quite a stir when CC posted it on here years ago. They were calling it Fluffy pink stuff. LOL. My mom made something like it with whipped cream. 

Honored Contributor

I made the pink fluffy salad last year and no one touched it. I think calling it salad threw everyone off since it looks and tastes like dessert. I froze it in a loaf pan after Thanksgiving dinner and slice it...everyone loved it.
Super Contributor

@denisemb Would you mind sharing your slow cooker stuffing recipe?  I would love to try it.  Thanks.

Highlighted
Valued Contributor

I still wish that everyone who has a signature dish would post the recipe. I am really enjoying the recipes and appreciate the posts.

Respected Contributor

@Mumof2 wrote:

@denisemb Would you mind sharing your slow cooker stuffing recipe?  I would love to try it.  Thanks.

No problem - I use allrecipes "Slow Cooker Stuffing" by Gayle Wagner.  I start off with less broth and add as needed.

Denise
Honored Contributor

What I love about our Thanksgiving is that all 4 of us adults only want the basic foods; turkey breast, mashed potatoes, dressing, gravy, and cranberry sauce, and we want enough for at least 2 full days.   

For many years there were trivial dishes like corn, green beans, deviled eggs, sweet potato casserole, rolls, etc., on the table that no one touched.   So eventually I stopped cooking the extra stuff and just focus on what we really want.   

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@ECBG wrote:

@KatieB 

We have the same degree.  I went ahead and did a double major with chemistry.   All of my electives were in clothing design, Interior Design,  then the art department. 

@ECBG   Boy, you were all over the place.  What did you do with your degree?

Respected Contributor

@QPrincess   I usually just have green bean casserole as a side dish or just plain green beans but this year I might make the following for Thanksgiving.

Curmudgeon's Killer Skillet Beans

Makes Two Generous Servings

1 lb fresh green beans

2 Tbsp olive oil

1/4 stick unsalted butter

8 oz fresh mushrooms, baby bella or white button

2 Tsps chopped fresh thyme

2 cloves garlic, minced

coarsely ground salt and fresh ground black pepper

1/3 cup brandy or cognac

1/3 cup white zinfandel or similar blush wine

1/3 cup chicken broth or stock

Crunchy topping:

3 to 4 bacon strips

4 to 5 large shallots, minced

2 Tbsp capers including liquid (I prefer to rinse and drain)

2 Tbsp olive oil

Blanche green beans for 3 to 4 minutes then shock in cold water.

Saute mushrooms in the olive oil and butter.  Add liquid ingredients and seasonings.  Reduce this sauce by half.

Separately, saute the bacon strips until crisp; drain and crumble.  Add and saute fresh minced shallots. Toss green beans in liquid mixture and just heat through, retaining their crispness.

Top with the crunchy bacon, shallots, and capers.

Note:  This comes from a recipe shared by a person known as Curmudgeon on a now defunct very long running blog--the Achenblog--hosted by Joel Achenbach of the Washington Post.

Members had a lot of fun discussing far ranging topics that included literature, science, the politics of the day, workday concerns, the news, and the business of news, of course, and the occasional recipe offered by the free wheeling participants.  It was the first time I ever participated in a blog and I actually got to meet some of the members at a happy hour in DC that I traveled to from Connecticut about eight years ago.

Usually I make this to serve with bone-in rare rib eye steaks or a prime rib roast and roasted or twice-baked potatoes.  But, as I said, I'm going to do these for Thanksgiving for a change.

aroc3435

Washinngton, DC

Valued Contributor

@aroc3435 wrote:

@QPrincess   I usually just have green bean casserole as a side dish or just plain green beans but this year I might make the following for Thanksgiving.

Curmudgeon's Killer Skillet Beans

Makes Two Generous Servings

1 lb fresh green beans

2 Tbsp olive oil

1/4 stick unsalted butter

8 oz fresh mushrooms, baby bella or white button

2 Tsps chopped fresh thyme

2 cloves garlic, minced

coarsely ground salt and fresh ground black pepper

1/3 cup brandy or cognac

1/3 cup white zinfandel or similar blush wine

1/3 cup chicken broth or stock

Crunchy topping:

3 to 4 bacon strips

4 to 5 large shallots, minced

2 Tbsp capers including liquid (I prefer to rinse and drain)

2 Tbsp olive oil

Blanche green beans for 3 to 4 minutes then shock in cold water.

Saute mushrooms in the olive oil and butter.  Add liquid ingredients and seasonings.  Reduce this sauce by half.

Separately, saute the bacon strips until crisp; drain and crumble.  Add and saute fresh minced shallots. Toss green beans in liquid mixture and just heat through, retaining their crispness.

Top with the crunchy bacon, shallots, and capers.

Note:  This comes from a recipe shared by a person known as Curmudgeon on a now defunct very long running blog--the Achenblog--hosted by Joel Achenbach of the Washington Post.

Members had a lot of fun discussing far ranging topics that included literature, science, the politics of the day, workday concerns, the news, and the business of news, of course, and the occasional recipe offered by the free wheeling participants.  It was the first time I ever participated in a blog and I actually got to meet some of the members at a happy hour in DC that I traveled to from Connecticut about eight years ago.

Usually I make this to serve with bone-in rare rib eye steaks or a prime rib roast and roasted or twice-baked potatoes.  But, as I said, I'm going to do these for Thanksgiving for a change.

aroc3435

Washinngton, DC

I just noticed your post. Thanks so much for posting. I really appreciate those who are posting the recipes.

Trusted Contributor

@lovesrecess wrote:
I make a similar pistachio pudding salad. DH loves it and always asks me to make the “ green stuff” at Thanksgiving. I have never put apples or mandarin oranges in mine....will try that!

@lovesrecess 

How do you make yours?  Share, please!