Trusted Contributor

Re: Signature Thanksgiving holiday dish?

Hi @Britbrit13,

Good to see you stopping by again...both you and @LilBitMissty!  I think of you whenever I have Mulligatawny Soup.  Had you not posted your recipe for it, I probably wouldn't have heard of it.  I love it!  I hope in the future you will be posting more of your recipes here.  Take care.

@Britbrit13 wrote:

Would you share your recipe for your homemade pies/pumpkin please thank you 

Valued Contributor

Oh your cake sounds really good, would you post the recipe please I would love to have it, I love it that it’s more like a cake I’ve been looking for something like that, thank you so much I can’t wait to make it britt
Valued Contributor

@beach-mom wrote:

We are never home for Thanksgiving, but we make Thanksgiving" dinner Christmas Day. We will be home this year though. DD usually goes to a "Friendsgiving" with her friends from high school. One girl always hosts and makes the turkey and the others bring sides and desserts. That won't be happening either, but here is what she usually makes. They always tell her to make this:

Miranda's Corn Casserole 

1 (14.75 oz.) can creamed corn

1 (11.25 oz.) corn - don't drain

1 cup uncooked macaroni 

1/2 cup butter

8 oz. shredded cheddar cheese

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Mix first three ingredients together. Slice butter, and mix butter and cheese into the corn mixture. Place in a buttered casserole dish. Cover. Bake 30 minutes. Uncover, stir, and bake uncovered 30 minutes more.

*DD usually makes this in an 8" x 8" square dish. It's good!  Smiley Happy

That sounds very interesting and I'm going to give it a whirl this week.

Thanks to you and all who share their recipes. 

I wish that everyone who has a signature, requested dish, would share their recipes as well.

Esteemed Contributor

I am always requested to bring:

Mashed potatoes - cubed golden potatoes in salted water, skins on, not drained well, lots of butter and heavy whipping cream. Mashed with the hand mixer.

Also glazed carrots - bag of baby organic carrots in a bit of salted water, brown sugar and butter. The longer on the stovetop, the glazier they get.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@ECBG wrote:

@lovesrecess wrote:
Do you make your cornbread in muffin tins or an iron skillet?

@lovesrecess 

A cast iron skillet is much healthier.Smiley Happy

How is using a cast iron skillet more healthy?  @ECBG 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@KatieB wrote:

@ECBG wrote:

@lovesrecess wrote:
Do you make your cornbread in muffin tins or an iron skillet?

@lovesrecess 

A cast iron skillet is much healthier.Smiley Happy

How is using a cast iron skillet more healthy?  @ECBG 

@KatieB Cooking in a cast iron skillet causes the food to pick up iron.  My major covered a lot of food science.  Cast iron has helped people stay healthy for generations.

("Non stick" never ment frying eggs.  It meant cornbread and fried meats, vegetables, and other dishes.).

Honored Contributor

I have never enjoyed cooking.  If you can believe it my family and friends always asked me if I'd bring my Lasagna.  Yepper that's one of the things along with turkey and stuffing and Jambalaya.  My former brother in law is from Alexandria Louisiana. Everyone (but me and my girls) love his Jambalaya.  In fact there's a restaurant in Alexandria (Virgina) who used to ask him to make it for them to put on their menu.

I'm told I make really good mashed potatoes and stuffing.  I usually bring those.  Nothing to the potatoes just lots of butter and salt and pepper.

We always have a mixture of all kinds of food.  My brother would bring his 'famous"(?) sausage balls.  I never ate them but I've heard they were good.

As many as 60 people would show up at my house.  Some of them I didn't even know.  My two sisters belonged to AA, even though no one ever saw them drunk or even drinking so they always brought along a few people.

60 people is a conservative figure.  People were sitting everywhere.  Having a large family someone was always angry at someone else, but when we got together it was all forgotten.

We'd even have ex-husbands show up with their new girlfriends, wives, etc.  

My mother was married 6 times to 3 different men.  You can imagine how lively it would get.  Lots of fun and laughter.

Honored Contributor

mine was scalloped onions and then cranberry mousse

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Would love to do dine at a fine restaurant for Thanksgiving...but they aren’t open this year. Our area has had these on-again, off-again  coronavirus restrictions....hard to plan anything.

Honored Contributor

Slice of turkey on good white bread with Best Foods mayo.