Honored Contributor

Re: Signature Thanksgiving holiday dish?

@lovesrecess 

This is the first time I've ever heard of anyone else mentioning cornbread in a skillet.

My grandmother, from the south made it in her cast iron skillet. She called it cornpone and it was made with white cornbread mix. We all loved it! that and so many other things she made.

Do you make it in the skillet?

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

Re: Signature holiday dish?

[ Edited ]

I always bring several things, but the pecan pie usually goes first.I always make two since the bottle of Karo syrup is enough for two pies. I use the recipe on the label of the Karo dark syrup Blue label.  I put the pecan halves into the pie shells, then mix everything else for the filling in the blender for a very few seconds...makes it very smooth, then pour it over the pecans in each pie shell.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Yes I have a cast iron skillet I only use for the cornbread. It is well-seasoned and DH likes it baked in the skillet the best. I make several skillets of it for my cornbread dressing since it gives me lots of browned pieces. 

Valued Contributor

My husband's stuffing - it has sausage and it is the best!  It's his Polish mom's recipe except he added sausage.

Mine:  Pecan pie without corn syrup and my pumpkin pie

I am fortunate - my husband came from a large family and he loves to cook Thanksgiving dinner.  He makes the turkey, mashed potatoes, homemade gravy, stuffing.  I usually make the cranberries (for me - he doesn't care for them), sweet potatoes and pies.  

Esteemed Contributor

Varied sweet potato casserole. I add apple pie mix with sweet potatoes and sometimes cranberries and top with pecans/walnuts - dry brown sugar maple (with a little butter) oatmeal and marshmallows. A little bit of everything.  

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Honored Contributor

That sounds delicious! I will have to try using the apple pie filling with the sweet potatoes...do you put the brown sugar and oatmeal on top?
Respected Contributor

Slow cooker bread stuffing. 

Denise
Honored Contributor

Fine dining at upscale restaurant........

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

@Azcowgirl wrote:

Pink fluff cherry fruit salad 🍒

eta....well known recipe, but I always get asked to make it .☺️

@Azcowgirl 

I have never heard of this.  Is it regional?  I'd love to see the recipe.

Honored Contributor

@lovesrecess wrote:
Do you make your cornbread in muffin tins or an iron skillet?

@lovesrecess 

A cast iron skillet is much healthier.Smiley Happy