Honored Contributor

Signature Thanksgiving holiday dish?

[ Edited ]

What is your signature holiday recipe for Thanksgiving? The one dish you are always asked to make for holiday family get togethers? The one that never has any leftovers ? Would love to see and share what everyone is "famous" for! Of course, share the recipe or the how-to🤗 

Trusted Contributor

Re: Signature holiday dish?

[ Edited ]

Always green beans!  

When my kids were young, it was green bean casserole 😲!

Now it is fresh green beans with sauted mushrooms and shallots.

Respected Contributor

Mr. Food Sweet Potato Casserole.  It is delicious, and I get asked to bring it each year.  

I use walnuts, instead of pecans.

• 1 cup chopped pecans
  • 1 cup packed light brown sugar
  • 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, softened, divided
  • 1/4 cup sweetened flaked coconut (optional)
  • 2 (29-ounce) cans sweet potatoes, drained and mashed
  • 3/4 cup granulated sugar
  • 2 eggs
  • 1/2 cup milk
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
What to Do

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Coat a 3-quart casserole dish with cooking spray.

2. In a medium bowl, combine pecans, brown sugar, flour, 1/4 cup butter, and the coconut, if desired; mix until crumbly, then set aside.

3. In a large bowl, combine remaining ingredients, including remaining butter; mix well. Spoon into casserole dish and sprinkle evenly with pecan mixture.

4. Bake 45 to 50 minutes, or until bubbly and heated through.

Honored Contributor

my pecan torte that is made with ritz crackers.

my saffron glazed baby whole carrots.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

Re: Signature Thanksgiving holiday dish?

My mother's recipe for candied sweet potatoes.  My brothers always bring along a container for the leftovers.

Honored Contributor

I'm the pie maker, also cranberry sauce.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Honored Contributor

We are never home for Thanksgiving, but we make Thanksgiving" dinner Christmas Day. We will be home this year though. DD usually goes to a "Friendsgiving" with her friends from high school. One girl always hosts and makes the turkey and the others bring sides and desserts. That won't be happening either, but here is what she usually makes. They always tell her to make this:

Miranda's Corn Casserole 

1 (14.75 oz.) can creamed corn

1 (11.25 oz.) corn - don't drain

1 cup uncooked macaroni 

1/2 cup butter

8 oz. shredded cheddar cheese

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Mix first three ingredients together. Slice butter, and mix butter and cheese into the corn mixture. Place in a buttered casserole dish. Cover. Bake 30 minutes. Uncover, stir, and bake uncovered 30 minutes more.

*DD usually makes this in an 8" x 8" square dish. It's good!  Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

My sons would say my mashed sweet potato casserole. Pecans, brown sugar, spices, marshmallows. They would also never dismiss my cornbread as a signature of mine. Everyone  raves about it. Somewhat sweet, but not overly and it's more like a cake, than bread. My son Michael always says, "Ma, you put your foot in this!" That means it's da bomb 💣!

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Pink fluff cherry fruit salad 🍒

eta....well known recipe, but I always get asked to make it .☺️

Honored Contributor

The easiest dessert I know of yet my niece and her family don’t think they or anyone else can make it like me. It’s Texas Sheet Cake. That, and sweet & sour cucumber salad.