Respected Contributor

Shrinking salmon--Whole Foods, others not happy about it

[ Edited ]

We can't post  direct media links here because of all the ads, but look up the topic of shrinking salmon supply on websites of  the Anchorage (Alaska) or Seattle newspapers, or Bloomberg News.

An interesting story, if you like salmon.

As one source reported:  In the last 8-10 years, salmon sizes have started to get smaller and smaller......Decades after the Atlantic cod fisheries collapsed, concern is now mounting among experts that wild Pacific salmon could face a familiar fate.

Honored Contributor

Re: Shrinking salmon--Whole Foods, others not happy about it

Since I am a pescatarian, that's NOT good news.     So far, tho, I haven't noticed any shortages......

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Esteemed Contributor

Not familiar with supply on the west coast but we - here in east - have Salmon River and fishermen come from all over each year to try their luck.

Food stores have ample - big - supply of salmon and even S Steaks which is my favorite.

I wouldn't be too concerned.............

Respected Contributor

Related stories published in the past year indicate this salmon issue  is  an international problem with more than one dimension and with multiple effects and consequences.

Honored Contributor

@novamc1 

Recently, I have noticed the whole salmon sides are smaller at my grocery store.

Honored Contributor

Over harvesting makes everything shrink.  I live in a prime whitetail deer hunting state. (MI)  It is common to come across photos of deer hunting camps from the old days.  The deer are huge and so are the racks. This is also a lumbering state here in the UP..  Log trucks are rolling down the road constantly.  Most of what you see are pulp logs for the paper mills.  There are very few prime pine trees being harvested for lumber now days.