Honored Contributor

I rarely use a cake mix, but bought one yesterday for a recipe I wanted to try...all the cake mixes...every brand I found....are now just a little over 15oz.

What size baking pan do you bake this in? It will be too flat in a 9x13. Also,  how do you adjust recipes that call for a bigger size cake mix like they used to sell? TIA!

Respected Contributor

@lovesrecess   

@lovesrecess wrote:

I rarely use a cake mix, but bought one yesterday for a recipe I wanted to try...all the cake mixes...every brand I found....are now just a little over 15oz.

What size baking pan do you bake this in? It will be too flat in a 9x13. Also,  how do you adjust recipes that call for a bigger size cake mix like they used to sell? TIA!?

this was just addressed a month or two ago. i remember someone had a great solution, can't quite remember what it was. personally i don't adjust. my cake is just not as tall. what are old cake mixes? 160z ?  you might want to google it, its a common question. seems i've lost some brain power that last few years. can't remember like i used to.

Esteemed Contributor

Three-Ounce Cake Mix ‘Upsizer’

Adapted from the Better Homes & Gardens New Cook Book. For white and yellow cake recipes.

1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda

Whisk all dry ingredients together and store in a clean mason jar. When you wish to increase a 15.25 ounce cake mix to 18.25 ounces, add three ounces of this mix (6 tablespoons) to your existing cake mix.

Makes about 6 portions.

Nutrition information per serving: 242 calories, 0% calories from fat, 0g fat, 0g saturated fat, 0mg cholesterol,58g carbohydrates, 34g total sugar, 34g added sugar, 3g protein, 53mg sodium, 1g fiber

Honored Contributor

I do remember someone addressing this a while ago...but I didn’t really read it closely since I hardly ever use a cake mix. Thanks!

Honored Contributor

You can either use the recipe @Zhills  posted or you can buy an extra box of cake mix. It's enough to add to 5 boxes cake mix.

Size they used to be 18.25 oz & now 15 oz. 

If you buy an extra box you can add 3 oz of it to your 15 oz cake mix to make it 18 oz. Almost the same size as it was before.

You will have enough left for 4 more cakes. LOL!!!

Honored Contributor

@lovesrecess : Last Sunday- I had the Betty Crocker Butter Recipe mix and a 9x13 disposable pan. I substituted 2% milk for the water and when baked it filled up the pan better and didn’t shrink. I didn’t have an extra cake mix  to use as previously mentioned. Southern Bee 

Honored Contributor

I add 6 Tbsp AP flour and 1/2 tsp baking powder to the cake mix.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Regular Contributor

I have been doing this "upsizer" trick for about 8 yrs now and it works great!! What a difference it makes.  It does not matter what the cake flavor is. I always keep the mixter in a canister with my baking supplies.  I 1st learned of this trick right here on the QVCboards.

Valued Contributor

The Three-Ounce Cake Mix ‘Upsizer’ works great.......Thanks so much!

Honored Contributor

@SouthernBee wrote:

@lovesrecess : Last Sunday- I had the Betty Crocker Butter Recipe mix and a 9x13 disposable pan. I substituted 2% milk for the water and when baked it filled up the pan better and didn’t shrink. I didn’t have an extra cake mix  to use as previously mentioned. Southern Bee 

@SouthernBee 

i always make the recipe i follow and dont add any extra cake mix. it always comes out perfectly, even though the box contents is smaller. i mostly use a bundt pan or tube pan though. i also substitute either milk, half n half, or juice for the water required.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein