Honored Contributor

Re: Should I gamble with a frozen turkey breast?

@dmod nj wrote:

@depglass   I make them often. 

I peel back the skin and smear a generous amount softened butter on the meat itself. Season the meat with whatever herbs you like. 

Put the skin back over the meat and do the same thing to the skin as you did with the meat. 

I add carrots, celery, onions and herbs (whatever you like)  to the pan. I add a cut up lemon,  about 1/4 cup of white wine and  about the same amount of   turkey broth to the bottom of the pan.  

I strain the liquid after it's cooked and use that to make the flavorful gravy.

Good luck!  

@dmod nj 

I use white wine also.  I don't measure that.  LOL

Honored Contributor

@depglass 

It's always just the two of us, plus one other couple.  We always cook a Turkey breast and it turns out lovely every time.  Like other posters have stated, follow the package cooking directions and it will come out just fine.

Time is just a drop in the bucket compared to eternity. It isn’t how long you live that matters; it is how well you are prepared to die. ~~Colonel Robert B. Thieme, Jr.
Contributor

@Bri369 wrote:

@dmod nj wrote:

I peel back the skin and smear a generous amount softened butter on the meat itself. Season the meat with whatever herbs you like. 

Put the skin back over the meat and do the same thing to the skin as you did with the meat. 

I add carrots, celery, onions and herbs (whatever you like)  to the pan. I add a cut up lemon,  about 1/4 cup of white wine and  about the same amount of   turkey broth to the bottom of the pan.  

Good luck!  

@dmod nj 

Exactly how I do mine, and it's always favorful and juicy. 

Honored Contributor

@Bri369 wrote:

@dmod nj wrote:

Good luck!  

@dmod nj 

@Bri369  LOL LOL   I don't measure much when I cook but not everyone cooks that way.  

I don't drink wine, so you can have mine. LOL 

But, don't you touch my margarita! LOL 

You can take the girl out of Jersey, but you can't take Jersey out of the girl. Jersey Girl living in CNY.
Honored Contributor

Just two of us too, just ordered our fresh turkey breast last week from a very fav gourmet market. Been ordering turkeys and now breastsfrom them for years now. Would absolutely not get a turkey from anybody else. Do I spend more for it, yes I do but it's once a year. We have great leftovers, I don't skimp on anything with how I roast it, always just tastes SO good, always the BEST.

Honored Contributor

@depglass 

I always put a big turkey breast in the crock pot and do a large one in the oven.  We all love turkey, DS and his family get several days of leftovers and I want leftovers and sandwiches.

First, I cut the back out so the crockpot lid will go on. 

I put the breast and back in, cover all over with melted butter and put a good 2 TBSP each of poultry seasoning, celery seed, and Marjoram. 

Add sage sparingly since it is strong. 

Rub on both sides of the breast and any leftover on the back. 

Cook on low no longer than 5 1/2 hours for best. 

Longer and the meat will chip and not slice nicely.

You should get about 1 1/2 C of broth for gravy.