Honored Contributor

..just three ingredients, butter, powdered sugar and flour, but what a mess...I swear I have made this before but today when trying to pat into the pan (after mixing together)  it was just a mess, NOTHING like the photo with fluted edges on the crust.  

Once I poured the strawberries and glaze on the crust it is not noticable but are there any tips for making it look nicer?  I like things to taste and look good.

I am certain the crust will stick (I did butter the pan) because the glaze went behind the crust.

The recipe calls for soft butter which it was but now I wonder if it would have hurt if the butter was melted, any advice?  Thanks

Honored Contributor

Re: Shortbread pie crust recipe

@Mom2Dogs   I have a recipe for shortbread crust that uses regular sugar and it is very easy to work with.  I would think the powdered sugar would be hard to work with and don't think melted butter would help as the powdered sugar is still to dry and fine to get a good consistency. 

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

I have a recipe for shortbread pastry that calls for an egg yolk and a tablespoon of cream in addition to the 1 1/4 cup flour, 2/3 cup powdered sugar, and 1 stick very cold butter cut into chunks.  I mix it all in the food processor.

Are you chilling the disk of plastic-wrapped dough for a couple hours before rolling out?  I work quickly to get it in the dish before it warms up and gets soft and sticky.  I freeze it in the dish for 1/2 hour before baking.

Honored Contributor

@deepwaterdotter   No, recipe reads just have the butter soft..mix everything together and pat into pan.

Esteemed Contributor

@Mom2Dogs  I'm lazy & it's just me. Today I bought a small angel food loaf cake from the smaller Wall Mart store. They're good and they had fresh strawberries.

Respected Contributor

@Mom2Dogs wrote:

@deepwaterdotter   No, recipe reads just have the butter soft..mix everything together and pat into pan.

I've read having butter cold is better and once mixed in, chill the pastry again before patting into form.

Honored Contributor

@Pook wrote:

@Mom2Dogs   I have a recipe for shortbread crust that uses regular sugar and it is very easy to work with.  I would think the powdered sugar would be hard to work with and don't think melted butter would help as the powdered sugar is still to dry and fine to get a good consistency. 

@Pook 

Would you share the recipe?  I'd love to try it.

TIA!!