Respected Contributor

I moved 2 years ago and there were spices in there I have no idea why I bought (other than they probably were bought for a specific recipe) so I tossed. I had many spices that had gotten pushed/hidden in the back of the cabinet and been there for 15 years!  Tossed also.

Respected Contributor

@GenXmuse wrote:

I often wondered as I have some that I don't even remember what era I got them from!

LOL!!!

Esteemed Contributor

I just bought new spices and they all have a "best by" but not an expiration date!  Most are at least 2 years out.

Honored Contributor

I always check bulk spices before buying a spice that I might not use again.  I also buy spices in the smallest jar possible.  Penzey's sells  most all of their spices in the 1/4 cup jar.  

Respected Contributor
Like others, if they're still aromatic, and not discolored, I use them.

I still have nutmeg balls (whole nutmeg) from 1976😯. I purchased them from the "Gourmet" section of Wegmans--when they had a gourmet section. (LOL The entire store is "gourmet" now.) I grate the balls as I need them, and they're as fragrant as ever.

What worries you masters you.
Honored Contributor

Mine stay fresh for quite a while because they're in the freezer!Smiley Happy

Valued Contributor

@DiAnne wrote:

I always check bulk spices before buying a spice that I might not use again.  I also buy spices in the smallest jar possible.  Penzey's sells  most all of their spices in the 1/4 cup jar.  

I like the Penzey's spices as well. 

A few months ago I went through my spice rack and tossed all of the spices I had for years that had expired. I threw out about 15 small containers and replaced with fresh spices that I actually use. 

Honored Contributor

Thanks everyone for your interesting comments.  I had never heard about putting red spices in the refrigerator.  I have heard good things about Penzey's spices....will check them out.  

Esteemed Contributor

I've never had anything lose their pungency. But if I spot an old container, I will pitch it.

However, I use herbs & spices a lot, so I am constantly replacing what is used up.