Honored Contributor

Sheet Pan Patatas Bravas Dinner

Adding this to my recipe folder.  I bet its good with other types of sausages,  not just chorizo. 

This recipe is inspired by patatas bravas, a classic Spanish bar snack of super-crispy fried pieces of potato, drizzled with a tangy, slightly spicy sauce. In college, when my roommate and I needed a comforting snack, we would roast potato chunks until they were super-crispy, and dunk them in a mixture of mayo and sriracha, which was just filling enough that we would sometimes (okay, often) call it dinner.

Now that I’m an adult, I need more protein and vegetables with my dinner. That’s where the sheet pan dinner comes in. The crispy potatoes remain, but they’re joined by lots of kale and some links of chorizo. The flavorful oil from the potatoes and chorizo is used to dress the kale, and the heat from the sheet pan wilts it just slightly enough that it gets tender and delicious. Topped with a super-fast, two-ingredient sauce, this dinner hits all the notes an autumn meal should: comforting, warm and delicious, all while still giving you plenty of hearty greens. As a bonus, it comes together in under an hour, using only one pan. How’s that for convenient cooking?

a1622d4e4b80e385a3ac8ebfec78b6e7.jpg

How to Make It

Step 1

Preheat oven to 425°F. Cut potatoes into quarters, place in a large bowl; toss in olive oil, 1 teaspoon of the salt, and pepper. Transfer to a rimmed baking sheet. Cut sausages into ½-inch rounds, and place rounds on baking sheet. Transfer to oven and roast for 15-20 minutes until sausages are golden brown. Remove sausage, set aside, and use a spatula to flip potatoes. Return to oven and continue roasting until potatoes are crispy and golden, about 15 more minutes.

Step 2

While the potatoes roast, prepare the kale: Remove the thick, center rib from kale leaves, and cut the leaves into ¼-inch strips. The easiest way to do this is to stack your de-ribbed kale leaves, then roll the stacked leaves and slice, creating ribbons. Set kale aside

Step 3

Prepare your sauce: In a small bowl, mix together mayonnaise and sriracha, and taste. Add more sriracha to your own spice preference and thin with a little water, if necessary, to make it easier to drizzle.

Step 4

When potatoes are done, remove them from the oven, then transfer potatoes to a bowl. Place the kale on the baking sheet and use a pair of tongs to coat the kale ribbons in the oil leftover on the pan from the sausages and potatoes. Once coated, add remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt and the apple cider vinegar and continue mixing, using hands to squeeze and massage kale, until fully coated. Spread into an even layer, top with potatoes and sausage pieces, then drizzle with the mayonnaise mixture. Serve

The hottest places in hell are reserved for those who, in times of great moral crisis, maintain their neutrality ~  Dante Alighieri
Frequent Contributor

Re: Sheet Pan Patatas Bravas Dinner

Would baby spinach work in place of the kale?    This recipe sounds amazing but I'm  not super crazy about kale.

Honored Contributor

Re: Sheet Pan Patatas Bravas Dinner

@Ladyrain wrote:

Would baby spinach work in place of the kale?    This recipe sounds amazing but I'm  not super crazy about kale.

@Ladyrain - yes, you can use spinach but it will wilt quickly - not as hardy in texture as kale, but it should be tasty

The hottest places in hell are reserved for those who, in times of great moral crisis, maintain their neutrality ~  Dante Alighieri