Esteemed Contributor

Re: Scone Bakers? Father Brown Fans?

@Honeybit wrote:

British-Style Scones with Currants
(America’s Test Kitchen Cooking School)

The differences between American and British scones are much like the cultures from which they come. While rich, dense American scones are no-holds-barred, cakelike British scones show restraint. They feature far less butter and far more baking powder. Instead of a “the more the better” ideology when it comes to add-ins, British scones usually only include a smattering of currants. And while American scones are topped with egg wash and lots of coarse sugar, the British version uses a light milk-and-egg wash to add browning.

There are also differences in technique. For the cakelike texture of British scones that we were after, we rubbed butter into the dry ingredients so completely that it was no longer visible—no lumps, no flakes. Using soft, room-temperature butter make this process even easier, quicker, and more thorough. This produced scones with a finer, more even crumb.

For many baked goods that require rolling out the dough (biscuits, pie dough), rerolling scraps produces a tougher, more squat result. This is because the action of rolling creates a stronger, tighter gluten network—and too much gluten can negatively influence texture and rise. But our British-style scones offer more leeway. The butter is worked into the flour so thoroughly that it prevents many of the proteins from ever linking up to form gluten in the first place. Far from being a hazard, rerolling the second batch of dough merely encourages a little more of the proteins to link together, leading to a bit more structure and more lift in the oven.

Leftover scones may be stored in freezer and reheated in 300-degree oven for 15 minutes before serving. Serve these scones with jam as well as salted butter or clotted cream.

Total Cooking Time: 1 hour, 45 minutes Preparation Time: 10 minutes Active Cooking Time: 20 minutes Yield: 12 scones

3 Cups (15 ounces) all-purpose flour *

1/3 Cup (2½ ounces) sugar

2 Tablespoons baking powder

1/2 Teaspoon salt

8 Tablespoons unsalted butter

3/4 Cup dried currants

1 Cup whole milk * *

2 Large eggs

1. Cut 8 tablespoons unsalted butter into ½-inch pieces and let sit at room temperature for 30 minutes.
  2. Adjust oven rack to upper-middle position and heat oven to 500 degrees.
  3. Line rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
  4. Pulse 3 cups (15 ounces) all-purpose flour, ⅓ cup (2⅓ ounces) sugar, 2 tablespoons baking powder, and ½ teaspoon salt in food processor until combined, about 5 pulses.
  5. Add softened butter and pulse until fully incorporated and mixture looks like very fine crumbs with no visible butter, about 20 pulses.
  6. Transfer mixture to large bowl and stir in ¾ cup dried currants.
  7. Whisk 1 cup whole milk and 2 large eggs together in second bowl.
  8. Set aside 2 tablespoons milk mixture.
  9. Add remaining milk mixture to flour mixture and, using rubber spatula, fold together until almost no dry bits of flour remain.
  10. Transfer dough to well-floured counter and gather into ball.
  11. With floured hands, knead until surface is smooth and free of cracks, 25 to 30 times.
  12. Press gently to form disk. Using floured rolling pin, roll disk into 9-inch round, about 1 inch thick
  13. Using floured 2½-inch round cutter, stamp out 8 rounds, recoating cutter with flour if it begins to stick. Arrange scones on prepared sheet.
  14. Gather dough scraps, form into ball, and knead gently until surface is smooth. Roll dough to 1-inch thickness and stamp out 4 scones. Discard remaining dough.
  15. Brush tops of scones with reserved milk mixture.
  16. Reduce oven temperature to 425 degrees and bake scones until risen and golden brown, 10 to 12 minutes, rotating sheet halfway through baking.
  17. Transfer scones to wire rack and let cool for at least 10 minutes. Serve scones warm or at room temperature.

* This dough will be quite soft and wet; keep extra flour on hand to use to dust your work surface and your hands when handling the dough.

* * We prefer whole milk in this recipe, but low-fat milk can be used.

For a tall, even rise, use a sharp-edged biscuit cutter and push straight down; do not twist the cutter when punching out the scones.

(Sorry, I'll have to read up on the new format's system for including a picture -- I couldn't add it here.)

Referencing the bolded and underlined language above re the American topping of "lots of course sugar," I disagree to the extent that this is a rather new trend in the history of scones in the US.  I'm 68 and was appalled when that awful coarse sugar came out.  It found its way onto and into any number of baked goods and hot drinks.  In my book that stuff has no place ever at all on a scone.  It is simply dreadful.

I don't know who came up with the compare and contrast re British vs American, but that person was probably born in 1975 or was Martha Stewart.

There are some things that should be left alone and one of those things is what one does to the top of a scone.  Less is more.

Honored Contributor

I use Annabelle White's recipe and instructions.

You can view the video by clicking here.

These scones are fantastic. I am asked to bring them just about everywhere these days.

If you make them with blueberries, as I often do, use the dried blueberries, not fresh ones. 

~ house cat ~
Honored Contributor

Last year, I purchased some White Chocolate Raspberry scones from my Schwan's delivery person. They were so filling and tasted great with a cup of seasonal flavored coffee.

sfnative,

I made this recipe and the scones were very salty. After comparing ingredients to other British scone recipes, I think the 2 tsp salt must be a mistake. With 3 tsp baking powder the salt would be 50% of that or even less. Some other recipes for Mrs. M's strawberry scones, the salt is 1/2 tsp.

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Honeybit   Thank you for posting the America's Test Kitchen recipe and their explanation for the scones with help from @Lynneuk  --  what a team! 

I love watching all the PBS shows, Father Brown included.  So glad I have access to three PBS networks--DC, Maryland, and Virginia.  Going to watch Midsomer Murders two parter tonight on the MD PBS channel.

Makes me not quite as nostalgic for my PBS access where I used to work and live in southern Connecticut when I had access to Connecticut, New York City, New Jersey, and occasionally Long Island.

All of you on the recipes forum are so gracious and  and take the time to come through, when possible, on requests from fellow posters.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I love all British shows and Father Brown is one of my favorites...along with As Time Goes By, Keeping Up Appearances, All Creatures Great & Small, etc. I think we have 10 different complete/full library DVD sets of many shows we enjoy.

As for those strawberry scones, you got me hankering for some now...LOL

I just found a low carb blueberry scone recipe online by 'Wholesome Yum' for DH and I. The only change I would need to make is adding sliced strawberries instead. I just printed it off and I will make them tomorrow morning. I already have all the ingredients.

Thanks for starting this thread @Honeybit !!! Smiley Very Happy

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

This is my grandmother's recipe.  Don't overmix to keep the dough moist:

Scones:

1/2 cup diced fresh strawberries

1/4 cup sugar

2 tbsp half & half

2 cups flour

1/2 tsp salt

1 tbsp baking powder

6 tbsp cold butter, cut into cubes

1 egg

2 tsp vanilla

2/3 cup diced fresh strawberries

Glaze:

3 tbsp sugar

1 1/2 tsp vanilla

1 tsp water

Blend 1/2 cup strawberries, sugar, and half & half in food processor until smooth.

Whisk flour, salt, and baking powder in big bowl.  Blend butter with flour mixture using fingertips until largest crumbs are pea-sized.

Whisk egg and vanilla in food processor bowl with strawberry mixture.  Stir into flour mixture until barely coming together.  Gently fold in 2/3 cup strawberries.  Use hands to form dough into shaggy ball.

Place dough on lightly-floured surface and divide in two.  Gently press one half into 6-7" circle.  Cut into 6 triangles and place on parchment-lined baking sheet 2" apart.  Repeat with other half.  Bake at 375 degrees until edges are golden brown, about 15 minutes.  

Stir glaze ingredients in small dish until reaching the consistency of thick syrup.  Add more water a tsp at a time if mixture seems dry.  Drizzle over scones.   

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@AuntG  I love the Schwan's brand of scones, they are so delicious !!!  I have also purchased the King Arthur scone mix, very good.

Contributor

Have you tried Bisconies? Purchased cranberry orange bisconies at Costco.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Honeybit wrote:

(America’s Test Kitchen Cooking School)

The differences between American and British scones are much like the cultures from which they come. While rich, dense American scones are no-holds-barred, cakelike British scones show restraint. They feature far less butter and far more baking powder. Instead of a “the more the better” ideology when it comes to add-ins, British scones usually only include a smattering of currants. And while American scones are topped with egg wash and lots of coarse sugar, the British version uses a light milk-and-egg wash to add browning.

There are also differences in technique. For the cakelike texture of British scones that we were after, we rubbed butter into the dry ingredients so completely that it was no longer visible—no lumps, no flakes. Using soft, room-temperature butter make this process even easier, quicker, and more thorough. This produced scones with a finer, more even crumb.

For many baked goods that require rolling out the dough (biscuits, pie dough), rerolling scraps produces a tougher, more squat result. This is because the action of rolling creates a stronger, tighter gluten network—and too much gluten can negatively influence texture and rise. But our British-style scones offer more leeway. The butter is worked into the flour so thoroughly that it prevents many of the proteins from ever linking up to form gluten in the first place. Far from being a hazard, rerolling the second batch of dough merely encourages a little more of the proteins to link together, leading to a bit more structure and more lift in the oven.

Leftover scones may be stored in freezer and reheated in 300-degree oven for 15 minutes before serving. Serve these scones with jam as well as salted butter or clotted cream.

Total Cooking Time: 1 hour, 45 minutes Preparation Time: 10 minutes Active Cooking Time: 20 minutes Yield: 12 scones

3 Cups (15 ounces) all-purpose flour *

1/3 Cup (2½ ounces) sugar

2 Tablespoons baking powder

1/2 Teaspoon salt

8 Tablespoons unsalted butter

3/4 Cup dried currants

1 Cup whole milk * *

2 Large eggs

1. Cut 8 tablespoons unsalted butter into ½-inch pieces and let sit at room temperature for 30 minutes.
  2. Adjust oven rack to upper-middle position and heat oven to 500 degrees.
  3. Line rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
  4. Pulse 3 cups (15 ounces) all-purpose flour, ⅓ cup (2⅓ ounces) sugar, 2 tablespoons baking powder, and ½ teaspoon salt in food processor until combined, about 5 pulses.
  5. Add softened butter and pulse until fully incorporated and mixture looks like very fine crumbs with no visible butter, about 20 pulses.
  6. Transfer mixture to large bowl and stir in ¾ cup dried currants.
  7. Whisk 1 cup whole milk and 2 large eggs together in second bowl.
  8. Set aside 2 tablespoons milk mixture.
  9. Add remaining milk mixture to flour mixture and, using rubber spatula, fold together until almost no dry bits of flour remain.
  10. Transfer dough to well-floured counter and gather into ball.
  11. With floured hands, knead until surface is smooth and free of cracks, 25 to 30 times.
  12. Press gently to form disk. Using floured rolling pin, roll disk into 9-inch round, about 1 inch thick
  13. Using floured 2½-inch round cutter, stamp out 8 rounds, recoating cutter with flour if it begins to stick. Arrange scones on prepared sheet.
  14. Gather dough scraps, form into ball, and knead gently until surface is smooth. Roll dough to 1-inch thickness and stamp out 4 scones. Discard remaining dough.
  15. Brush tops of scones with reserved milk mixture.
  16. Reduce oven temperature to 425 degrees and bake scones until risen and golden brown, 10 to 12 minutes, rotating sheet halfway through baking.
  17. Transfer scones to wire rack and let cool for at least 10 minutes. Serve scones warm or at room temperature.

* This dough will be quite soft and wet; keep extra flour on hand to use to dust your work surface and your hands when handling the dough.

* * We prefer whole milk in this recipe, but low-fat milk can be used.

For a tall, even rise, use a sharp-edged biscuit cutter and push straight down; do not twist the cutter when punching out the scones.

(Sorry, I'll have to read up on the new format's system for including a picture -- I couldn't add it here.)

I haven't made these (too lazy) but I will say that having lived in England for 5 years and worked in a tea shop where everything but the sandwich bread was made by hand,  I cannot abide American scones.   They are nothing like English scones.  They are heavy and dense and on the dry side.    

The scones made by the owner in the tea shop where more like our bisquits.   They were round NOT triangular and lighter.  She made three:  plain, cheese and raisin.  They were absolutely fabulous.   I'd kill for one right now.   I watched her make them so many times but never got the hang of it.

Oh and there is NO sugar on top.   Why do we Americans have to put sugar on everything?  

Another wonderful English breakfast treat is a toasted teacake.   And another is a rock cake.   Check these two tasty treats out online.