Respected Contributor

Savory French Onion Bread Pudding

I had a ball of fresh mozzarella left from last week, so, anxious to use it before spoiling, searched my files for recipes that call for it.  I had completely forgotten about this recipe, so was surprised when it turned up in the search results.  We enjoyed it this evening with ham and tossed salads.

If you like caramelized onions, I believe you'll find the flavor every bit as delectable as we Gs.  It is unusual for either of us, but we each had second helpings as we discussed possible future pairings.  

@FunkyHulaGirl, if you're out there, Thank You!  

Savory French Onion Bread Pudding
QVC Recipe Swap | by FunkyHulaGirl on 5/18/13

8 Tablespoons butter, divided in half
1 Tablespoon olive oil
4 large onions, sliced in half width wise then sliced into very thin half moons
1 can (about 14 ounces) beef broth
1/4 cup dry red wine
1 small loaf (about 6 to 9 ounces) good French bread
3 cups shredded Swiss cheese
2 cups shredded Mozzarella cheese
1/3 cup shredded real Parmesan cheese
3 large eggs
1 ½ cups heavy cream
½ cup milk
salt and pepper to taste

Preheat oven to 350º. Butter a 2 quart baking dish.

Melt 4 tablespoons of the butter along with the vegetable oil in a large deep pan. Add in the sliced onions and stir to coat them.

Cover the pan, turn the heat to low and allow the onions to cook for about 10 minutes on very low heat, stirring occasionally, until limp and mostly cooked.

Take the cover off of the pan, turn the heat up to just barely medium and continue to slowly cook the onions until they are a deep brown.

Add the beef broth and the wine to the pan. Stir to mix, then turn heat to low. Cook, stirring frequently, until the liquid has been nicely soaked up by the onions.

Meanwhile, take your French bread and cube it into bite sized pieces. Toss it into a large bowl.

Whisk together the 3 eggs, the cream and the milk.

When the onions are ready, toss them with the cubed bread.  Pour in the cream/egg mixture and stir well.

Toss the shredded cheese (not the Parmesan) into the mixture, stir it all well then let sit for about 10 minutes so the bread can soak up the cream.

Melt the last 4 tablespoons butter.  Pour all of the bread mixture into the prepared pan. Drizzle the melted butter over the top. Sprinkle with the Parmesan cheese.

Bake at 350º until the pudding is golden brown, puffy and when a knife is inserted in the middle, it comes out clean (other than cheese) and with no custardy mixture on it.

Let sit for about ten minutes before trying to slice.

Mrs. G's notes:  

• I substituted Marsala for the red wine.
  • The baking time is about 45 minutes.  
  • The irony of the dish is that I personally don't think the mozzarella is necessary.  
  • DH opened a bottle of Chardonnay, but I suspect a Riesling would have paired better.  
Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.
Honored Contributor

Re: Savory French Onion Bread Pudding

YUM!  that looks delicious 😋 

Honored Contributor

Wow @IamMrsG this looks great!  I may even take a run at this, thanks for posting it . . . Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

That sounds AWESOME!  Thanks for posting.  We've still got a few more days of cool weather here so this looks like Just the ticket!

Respected Contributor

Gee, G, that sounds delicious! 

Years ago there was a local restaurant that a luscious dish on the menu; roasted chicken with artichoke bread pudding & a lemon jus. Yum!

Thanks again!

Muddling through...
Honored Contributor

I have failed in successfully executing about four bread pudding recipes.  I think I use too much bread.  But I will eventually plunge ahead and try this one anyway, because it doesn't call for much bread. 

Respected Contributor

@depglass  I'm sorry for not replying sooner.  I used 6 ounces of bread, and commented at the table that more would not have hurt.  To prevent a too soggy result, I think a key element to the instructions is, "Cook, stirring frequently, until the liquid has been nicely soaked up by the onions."  

Respected Contributor

@sabatini wrote:

Gee, G, that sounds delicious! 

Years ago there was a local restaurant that a luscious dish on the menu; roasted chicken with artichoke bread pudding & a lemon jus. Yum!

Thanks again!

@sabatini   Hey, Lady!   Now you've started sumthin'.  Woman Wink  I'm on a search for artichoke bread pudding & a lemon jus.   Artichoke and lemon, yum. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

LOL, @IamMrsG!!  Smiley LOL

Let me know if you find something!

Muddling through...
Honored Contributor

i think a sherry would work well in this also!

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein