Respected Contributor
It has been a while and I forgot which type of beef works best for marinating 4-5 days. I used one and it was a bit tough so I need advice. Thanks. Company coming !
Honored Contributor

Re: Sauerbraten - advice please

I have never heard of it. I had to Google. LOL!!! It looks yummy. I saw a couple of recipes using rump roast. One I saw said rump roast but the pic of it looked like eye of round.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

My mother bought a pot roast.  I buy a pot roast.  Don't know if that's best ... but it's what I use.

Honored Contributor

Saw another recipe online where she said it was her German mother's original recipe. She said to use a bottom round roast, preferably. It really looks good. I may have to try it some time.

Super Contributor

hI @Twins Mom !  I just saw this presented on The Kitchen, Sunny Anderson used a 3 pound rump roast, mairnated for 2 days.  You can search the recipe called Sunny's Easy Slow Cooker Sauerbraten.  Hope this helps....

~~Keep calm and hug your pets~~
Respected Contributor

Martha Stewart's mom made sauerbraten for the family & Martha has made it many, many, many times. I'm sure it's on her website.  Google it. Her recipes are always reliable and tasty.

Honored Contributor

I never made Sauerbraten but isn't rump roast considered a tasty roast?

Last time I went to a German Restaurant, I ordered Sauerbraten. The roast was so tender BUT I am not sure how long they marinated it. It was quite vinegary, it was overpowering. And I like vinegar. 

Please let us know how it turns out. There is a recipe in one of my cookbooks. I want to try but I never had the nerve.

Valued Contributor

My grandmother's recipe called for 4lb beef for pot roast, rub meat with salt and 1tsp ground ginger, and marinate with cider, spices for 3 days in refrigerator.  I make hers with katofffel glaze ( potato dumplings). It's good!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

This recipe that I saved from of an old issue of Cook's Country calls for eye-round roast:

6 cups water

2 cups red wine vinegar

2 onions, halved and sliced thin

1 carrot, peeled and chopped

1 rib celery, chopped

1 tbsp cracked black peppercorns

1 bay leaf

5-lb boneless eye-round roast

3 tbsp vegetable oil

2 tsp allspice

1 tsp ground ginger

4 cups beef broth

2 cups red wine

10 pitted prunes

10 gingersnaps, broken onto pieces

2 tbsp butter

Mix water, vinegar, onions, carrot, celery, peppercorns, and bay leaf in Dutch oven.  Submerge beef, cover, and refrigerate overnight.

Pat beef dry and season with salt and pepper.  Strain marinade, reserving vegetables, bay leaf, and peppercorns.  Heat 1 tbsp oil in Dutch oven over medium-high heat and brown beef on all sides.  Place on plate.

Lightly brown reserved vegetables in 2 tbsp oil in Dutch oven.  Stir in allspice and ginger for a minute.  Add broth, wine, and prunes and bring to simmer.

Add beef and juices to pot, cover, and bake at 225 degrees until tender, 5-6 hours.  Turn beef after 3 hours.  Tent roast with foil on carving board for 1/2 hour.  

Reserve 1 cup braising liquid.  Bring rest of liquid to boil.  Whisk in gingersnaps until sauce is thickened and reduced, 10-15 minutes.  Remove from stove and whisk in butter.  Strain sauce to remove vegetables and peppercorns.

Pour reserved braising liquid over sliced beef in bowl and serve with sauce.    

Honored Contributor

@drizzellla wrote:

I never made Sauerbraten but isn't rump roast considered a tasty roast?

Last time I went to a German Restaurant, I ordered Sauerbraten. The roast was so tender BUT I am not sure how long they marinated it. It was quite vinegary, it was overpowering. And I like vinegar. 

Please let us know how it turns out. There is a recipe in one of my cookbooks. I want to try but I never had the nerve.

@drizzellla   Lot of Germans in my family (!).........and YES, rump roast is the best for sauerbraten.    di

♥Surface of the Sun♥