Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Saturday/Sunday simple creamy chicken "souper" soup

Notice I didn't say quick! Wink

This recipe comes from a Jewish cookbook that I got at the library. The original title is Shorba Bi Dejaj, or Iraqi Creamy Chicken Soup with Rice, by Matthew Goodman.

I love this recipe for many reasons. It's healthy, inexpensive, it has few ingredients, and if you keep chicken in your freezer and an onion on hand, it can be made with items from the pantry. It says that it serves 8, but if this is your main dish and you need 8 servings I would make a double batch.

Ingredients:

1/2 cup long-grain rice

2 tablespoons vegetable oil (I use olive oil)

1 onion, finely chopped

1 1/2 pounds chicken wings, rinsed

1/2 teaspoon turmeric

1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom

2 teaspoons salt

freshly ground black pepper to taste

10 cups water

1/2 cup red lentils, well washed

1) Wash the rice well. Place the rice in a large bowl of cold water and soak for 2 hours; drain and set aside.

2) In a soup pot, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the chopped onion and cook, stirring often, until soft and translucent. Add the chicken wings, turmeric, cardamom, salt, pepper and water. Cover and bring to a boil over medium-high heat.

3) Lower the heat and add the rice and lentils. Simmer gently until the rice has softened and the soup has become thick and creamy, about 2 hours. (Skim off any foam that may appear on the surface and stir occasionally to make sure the rice doesn't stick to the bottom of the pot).

4) When the soup is creamy, remove the chicken wings from the pot. When cool enough to handle, discard the skin and bones, shred the meat, and return it to the pot. Taste and adjust for seasoning. Serve hot.

I hope you like it! It's my Sunday soup for today.