Frequent Contributor

I have made this simple recipe for years and  both kids and hubby like it. The original recipe didn't have any pepper.  How can you make soup with out pepper?

I call it Saturday soup because for some reason I make it for lunch on Saturdays!

Saturday Soup

You need:

1 12 oz. package of shells and cheese mix

1 ½ cups water

2 cups milk

1 cup frozen green peas (or if you had peas and carrots that would work)

4 hot dogs (thinly sliced)

½ tsp black pepper (or more if desired)

To make:

Bring water to a boil in medium to large saucepan. Add just the shells from the mix and cook for 7 minutes. (Turn the heat down and slow boil it or your water will boil out.)

Stir in cheese from mix, milk, peas, black pepper and sliced hot dogs. Cook for 5-10 minutes or until thoroughly heated. Then serve! Goes good with some crusty bread.

Honored Contributor

Especially yummy as a hearty, cold-weather lunch, I bet @Black Pony!

Valued Contributor

This just sounded so simple and warm that I made it for dinner last night.  I wanted to check with you about the amount of water.  Do I cook the pasta in only 1 1/2 cups of water, or cook the pasta, drain, and then put 1 1/2 cups of water back in?

I ended up adding more water and then later added more milk.  Basically I had mac & cheese with peas, nothing remotely like a "soup". 

Am I missing something? 

I often mix a can of stewed tomatoes, saute chopped peppers & onions with mac & cheese.  It isn't a soup either, but a good side dish.  TIA, Libby

Honored Contributor

@Black Pony

@Libbylady has some questions for you.

Frequent Contributor

You don't drain the water when you finish cooking the noodles.  The water will cook mostly out though.  You are right it isn't a brothy soup, it is more thick but does serve up as soup.   It does thicken up as leftovers as the noodles soak in more liquid.  You can always add milk, or broth to thin it out.