Honored Contributor

Can anyone offer a good recipie for Sangria?  I remember going to the Ground Round, a lunch/dinner place, and we would get a pitcher of Sangria and it was awesome.  I searched recipies and there are sooooooooooooo many and they are all different.  Even a brand of Sangria would be helpful and I can just add the fruit myself.

Valued Contributor

I'd like to know too 

Esteemed Contributor

I've never made sangria, but I like drinking it!  We don't have any Ground Rounds in my area, but Olive Garden has a good sangria.

At any rate, Yago is my favorite brand to buy.  I don't think it's necessary to add fruit, but it is certainly a nice touch!

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

This is my brother's simple recipe.  He lets it sit overnight:

2 big oranges, 1 juiced and 1 sliced

1 big lemon, sliced

1/4 cup sugar

1/4 cup Triple Sec

750-milliliter bottle of cheap Merlot

Place sliced lemon and orange and sugar in big pitcher.  Lightly mash with wooden spoon to release some juice and dissolve sugar.  Stir in orange juice, Triple Sec, and wine.  Refrigerate. 

Honored Contributor

@Citrine1 wrote:

I've never made sangria, but I like drinking it!  We don't have any Ground Rounds in my area, but Olive Garden has a good sangria.

At any rate, Yago is my favorite brand to buy.  I don't think it's necessary to add fruit, but it is certainly a nice touch!

The Ground Round went out of business years ago.  It was the favorite lunch hang out back in the late 70's when I worked.  Lots of long lunch hours.  I remember when I was about 14/15 and this woman lived next door made her own Sangria.  She had oranges and pineapple in it but since I was underage she only gave me the fruit to eat.  Not knowing the fruit soaks up the alcohol.  Needless to say, I left there a little bit tipsy.  She was so embarrassed and felt so bad.  It was a funny memory.

Respected Contributor

Arbour Mist makes a nice Sangria.

I just printed a recipe off of celebrating sweets dot com that looks & sound delicious.

White Sangria Recipe

This crisp and refreshing White Sangria is loaded with fruit and it comes together in minutes. 
Ingredients
  • 1 (750mL) bottle chilled white wine
  • 1/2 cup fruit flavored liqueur*
  • 1 cup chilled white grape or white peach juice
  • 3 cups fresh berries
  • 1 large peach, sliced
  • 1 large lime, sliced
Instructions
  • Place the fruit in the bottom of a large pitcher. Add wine, liqueur, and juice and stir gently until combined. Serve immediately or refrigerate for up to 2 hours.
Notes
*Choose a fruit-flavored liqueur (or schnapps) that will complement the fresh fruit. I like peach, strawberry, raspberry, or orange liqueur.

Adjust ingredient quantities to suit your taste.
Honored Contributor

1 1/2 cup orange juice

2 tbsp triple sec

1/2 cup brandy

1 bottle (750 ml) fruity red wine (the cheaper, the sweeter, the better)

3 tbsp sugar

2-3 cinnamon sticks

Sliced lemon/orange/lime strawberry or pineapple

1 1/2 cup chilled lemon/lime sparkling water

Refrigerate overnight.

Esteemed Contributor

This is an excellent sangria, originally submitted by a former poster to the Recipe thread, Carol 1229.  Her recipes were wonderful-not a bad one in the  many she used to post.  Miss her a lot and wish she would be able to return.  I usually double this recipe when I make it for our family.  

WHITE ZINFANDEL SANGRIA
(Source: Rebecca @ Ezra Pound Cake blog-adapted from “Bon Appetit”-July 2001)

Use whatever fresh fruit you have on hand (strawberries, pineapple, mangoes, blackberries, chopped green apple, etc.), just make sure to include at least 1 citrus fruit in the mix.

1 (750 ml) bottle chilled White Zinfandel
1/2 c. peach schnapps
2 Tbsp. Cointreau, Grand Marnier or other orange liqueur
2 Tbsp. sugar, or to taste
2 cinnamon sticks, broken in half
1 lemon, sliced
1 orange, sliced
1 peach, sliced into wedges
1 (10 oz.) bottle chilled club soda (1 1/4 c.)
Ice cubes

Mix first 8 ingredients in a tall pitcher. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes to allow flavors to blend.

Mix in club soda.

Fill 6 wine glasses with ice cubes. Pour sangria over ice. Serve

Respected Contributor

I don't have the recipe handy, but Geoffrey Zacharian had a recipe for sangria on the Food Network show The Kitchen about a year ago. If I recall correctly, it sounded a lot like the post that includes brandy. 

ETA: I found the recipe.

GZ's Red Sangria

Ingredients

2 bottles fruity red wine

1 cup orange liqueur

1 cup brandied pitted cherries

1 cup sliced fresh peaches or nectarines 

1 cup fresh raspberries 

1/4 cup elderberry liqueur 

Zest of 1 lemon

1/2 bottle cava

Fresh mint or basil sprigs for garnish

Directions

Combine all ingredients except cava and garnishes in a large-mouth glass bowl or pitcher. Stir gently with a wooden spoon, then refrigerate for 1 to 2 hours.

Just before serving, pour in the cava and stir very gently. Put large ice cubes in glasses, pour the sangria into the glasses and garnish.

Esteemed Contributor

Peach sangria 

1 day ahead - make sugar simple syrup ( easy to google )

fresh peaches pealed & sliced  then cook slightly in simple syrup  then add to receipe below

For a lrge crowd

mix 1 bottle chardonnay  & 1 bottle chenin blanc

1 cup peach brandy or peach schnapps

add the peaches with 1 cup of  simple syrup

chill well