Respected Contributor

Re: Sandwich made with chipped ham, cheese, hard boiled eggs, relish, and mayo receipe

@colliegirls wrote:

My favorite was always just a pile of Isaly's chipped ham with mayo on bread...YUMMY!!!

I just had that yesterday on Schwebels Italian bread ....yum Smiley Happy

Giant Eagle still sells Isaly's Chipped Ham 

Trusted Contributor

Re: Sandwich made with chipped ham, cheese, hard boiled eggs, relish, and mayo receipe

Publix has a Hormel chopped ham in the deli.  Ask for it chipped.  I don't buy  it any more as it is salty.  I ate this growing up in Md.  We just put it on a sandwich with a little mustard and cheese.

Honored Contributor

@eddyandme wrote:

What is chipped ham?  never heard of it, but I love ham!  Do they call it somthing else at the deli?

It is a very very thinnly sliced boiled ham.Boiled ham is very similar to spam.It contains a lot of fat and has sugar added, which is why everyone loves it so much. Older and wiser, I now prefer regular baked ham sliced very thin instead, but it doesn't taste the same. It is a regional Pittsburgh food, and even in Pittsburgh it is getting hard to find the real thing.
I

Respected Contributor

Just a note to let you all know that we made 50 of these sandwiches up for helpers at  a families new home. They were liked by everyone and everyone wanted to know how we made them. I told them we used a lady's recipe on here plus we added items from other recipes I found in a cook book. So just want to let you know these might once again become a favorite for get togethers.