Trusted Contributor

Hello everyone! I have an issue with Salt I really like and miss it. It will be a Year September 24th that I had a H/A. I try really hard not to use Salt. I have been looking for and using blends that don't contain Salt. While they are good somethings you just need Salt like Tomatoes, and French Fries. I'm looking for a taste very close to Salt. Looking forward to recommendations. Smiley Happy

Trusted Contributor

Try a salt substitute.  Morton has one but  I tried NoSalt in the past.  Use about half of what you use of regular salt.

Boop

Trusted Contributor

Thanks flbettyboop. Does it taste like Salt? I bought something on Sunday at Whole Foods called Nu Salt and it was dreadful.and back it went. Thanks I will look into what you suggested.

Honored Contributor

I Googled this and there is a product called AlsoSalt that has their own website and lots of information plus it looks like they may send out sample packets.

I can't speak to the taste but it may be something you would like to look into.

HTH.

Respected Contributor

Unless you have to totally avoid sodium in any of its forms,(which seems a little extreme because it occurs naturally and unavoidably in foods), you might want to investigate the relative sodium amounts in different types of salt.

I'm not well-versed in this, but I am aware that  some types-- such as sea salt, Kosher salt, Himalayan salt-- might  have less sodium content-relative-to-flavor than Morton's table salt.  Other types of salt are available, too---pink salt, for one.  I'm sure you can find some info about this on the internet.  Or perhaps others know something they can add to this shot in the dark.

Good luck and best of health to you!

Trusted Contributor

Where can I find the No Salt? Is it by Morton?

Esteemed Contributor

I was going to suggest that also.  I use pink Himalayan salt and find that I use very little.  It is "saltier" and you just don't use as much to get the right taste.

Valued Contributor

There is a company that has a shop in a town near me. They make up custom spice blends that would give you the taste of salt. I don't know if I can mention the company w/o the mods proofing me. Wish we could pm one another!Also~have you asked your doc if a sprinkle of finely ground sea salt would be ok as an occasional thing? Iodised salt really isn't good for anyone!

Respected Contributor

Iodine is an essential dietary component.  It's hard to get from the food supply, particularly among populations that don't have access to or  eat much ocean-sourced seafood.

That's why it was required as an additive to salt many many decades ago.......it was a public health measure.  Failure to obtain the small amount of iodine that humans need can lead to serious thyroid and other health problems.

Salt without iodine, of course, is readily available, too.

And one thing I forgot to suggest to the OP was that adding a small amount of salt to something as rich in potassium as potatoes might not hurt much.  Salt and potassium ideally should achieve some sort of balance in our body's cells--one causes fluid to be retained in cells and the other facilitates the release..  Foods high in potassium such as potatoes, bananas and other types just might allow the use of a little salt without triggering heart or blood pressure problems.  I say "MIGHT.....a nutritionist might be a good source of help when an MD (not specifically trained in nutrition) is advising complete salt avoidance.

Personally, I can't imagine enjoying food without a little salt added for seasoning.

Esteemed Contributor

I monitor my salt intake and have for years.  Rather than a salt substitute, I just love the blends of spices produced by Penzeys spices.  You can find them on the Internet, and I would suggest you send for a catalog.  They sell all sorts of spices, spice blends with salt, and others without salt.  The saltless blends are great.  They do have some stores, but will gladly ship to you.  Last time I ordered there was free shipping for $25 or more, and my shipment included a small bottle of seasoned pepper and a very pretty mug as free gifts.  How can you beat that?