Honored Contributor

Re: Salmon loaf recipe- fish juice?

This reminds me of a recipe in an Amish cookbook I used to own.  The ingredients were listed with the simple instruction:  Bake.

Esteemed Contributor

When I was a young  working girl, I asked my roommate from Maryland what temp was good to cook cornbread?

She started laughing, then told me, "we had a wood stove and you just put a log in and fired it up!"  Temp?

I guess BAKE covers it.

Honored Contributor

You can also get fish 'bouillon' on the Mexican foods aisle, Goya brand (I had to look in my pantry).

It comes in ham, beef, chicken, vegetable or fish. It's a powder in small envelopes that you use like bouillon cubes.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Valued Contributor

@depglass wrote:

This reminds me of a recipe in an Amish cookbook I used to own.  The ingredients were listed with the simple instruction:  Bake.

@depglass I'm sure it was a recipe that a friend told her about over the phone and that was her way of writing it down. It was in her handwriting, as many of her others were. 

Honored Contributor

I have the unfortunate habit of writing down a complete recipe without the name at the top.  Months later I come across it and think "what the heck is this?"

Valued Contributor

@Marybella  I didn't have a clue what fish sauce was either, long after 1960.  Smiley Wink

Esteemed Contributor

You all must have heard the 'tale' about the bride who was in process of cutting a roast in half before baking.

Her friend said:      WHAT are you doing?

Bride:  well my grandma always cut her roasts in half

Checked with grandma - grandma said - I cut the meat in half to make it fit the pan!

(okay - old joke)

Honored Contributor

@Marybella wrote:

@depglass wrote:

@depglass I'm sure it was a recipe that a friend told her about over the phone and that was her way of writing it down. It was in her handwriting, as many of her others were. 

I wasn't aware that the Amish use telephones...........(???)

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Esteemed Contributor

@Desertdi LOL    They don't.................

Valued Contributor

@Desertdi wrote:

@Marybella wrote:

@depglass wrote:

I wasn't aware that the Amish use telephones...........(???)

@Desertdi  I was referring to my mother scratching down the recipe on a note pad. She was not Amish! LOL