Valued Contributor

Re: Salmon loaf recipe- fish juice?

Could it be fish sauce? Comes in a bottle and is found in the Asian food section of the grocery store I think. I use it in salad dressing. It does smell like fish.

Esteemed Contributor

@@Re: Salmon loaf recipe- fish juice?

@Marybella BINGO..............I do have it - Taste the Pride of Alaska Canned Salmon the little brochure is called.........and it has a dozen recipes.  As offered - will post later.

(Surprised myself)

Valued Contributor

@KLm wrote:

Could it be fish sauce? Comes in a bottle and is found in the Asian food section of the grocery store I think. I use it in salad dressing. It does smell like fish.

No, she wouldn't have had a clue what fish sauce is. I use it in Asian recipes. She wasn't that advanced in 1960. Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

Re: @@Re: Salmon loaf recipe- fish juice?

We used a large can of salmon, skin removed and juice drained, one egg and some crushed up saltine crackers.  Smushed, pattied and sauteed.  Maybe a little onion in it if we had someleft over, maybe some Italian herbs.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

She could mean fish stock. There ar plenty of recipes for this online. She could also mean fish sauce. This item is sold in the Asian foods section, usually the Thai food part. It's a salty liquid. She could also mean the liquid left over in a can of salmon if she used canned salmon in her recipe. Here's some info about the liquid in the canned salmon

-------------------------------------------------------

The United States Food and Drug Administration’s Canned Pacific Salmon Standard of Identity (21 CFR 161.170) prohibits the addition of water to canned salmon. None of the liquid is a result of the addition of water to the product, but the amount of liquid in canned salmon is highly variable. It can be anywhere from 18% to 28% of the total weight of the contents of the can. This variability however, is not a reflection of the practices of the canner. Canned salmon is cooked in the can, and the liquid present in the final product is only the natural juices that come out of the meat when the salmon is cooked.
The quantity of liquid in canned salmon is dependent on the composition of the fish muscle (protein, fat, moisture and ash content) and forms of pack (presence of bone and/or skin). Naturally occurring water is inversely proportional to the quantity of fat while the content of proteins tend to vary less in relationship to the fat content. A Salmon species with high fat content like King Salmon will have lower moisture content within the flesh than the content observed in flesh of a leaner species like Pink Salmon. There is also a significant variation in fat and water in fish muscle within the body or fillet. Portions of flesh near the tail will be leaner than portions near the belly. Other variations are the result of the fish size, age and seasonality of the catch, principally the sexual maturity of the fish at the time of catch.
The Canned Pacific Salmon Standard of Identity only allows for one or more of the following optional ingredients: Salt and edible salmon oil comparable in color, viscosity and flavor to the oil which would occur naturally in the species of salmon canned.
Under the CODEX Alimentarius Food Standards, canned salmon packed with edible oils other than salmon oil is distinguished as a product which requires a drained weight and if any packing medium is used, the medium shall form part of the name of the food. Net weight is the only requirement for canned salmon packed exclusively with salt and/or salmon oil.
As a result of the U.S. FDA Standard of Identity stipulation that no water be added to Canned Pacific Salmon, the applicable U.S. nutrition labeling regulations require that all nutrient content declarations on the label must be based on the total contents of the can.
Do not throw out canned salmon liquid - it is perfectly good food. Many recipes that call for canned salmon call for inclusion of the liquid.
Revision Date: 12-10-

Valued Contributor

@Mindy D wrote:

Shecould mean fish stock. There ar plenty of recipes for this online. She could also mean fish sauce. This item is sold in the Asian foods section, usually the Thai food part. It's a salty liquid. She could also mean the liquid left over in a can of salmon if she used canned salmon in her recipe. 

She would not have made her own stock or purchased fish sauce. Our little town stores wouldn't have offered it back in 1960. I will have to measure the liquid in a can of salmon to find out if that was what she meant. Or, I just might have to use a different recipe! LOL Thanks!

Respected Contributor

I don't know if this was around when your mother was cooking, but I really like Better Than Bouillon flavor concentrates. They come in a jar in a variety of flavors and you just dissolve the concentrate in hot water, then add to the dish you're making. Since it's a concentrated "paste", you can adjust the strength to suit your taste.  I use their lobster base when I make shrimp gumbo. Just refrigerate the unused portion for another time. I've bought them in the supermarket and on Amazon. 

Esteemed Contributor

From Alaska brochure

1 can salmon

2 cups soft bread crumbs

1/3 up finely minced onion

1/4 cup of milk

2 eggs

! T minced parsley

1 Tablespoon lemon juice

1/4 teaspoon each - salt - dill weed - dash pepper

Drain salmon reserving 2 Tablespoons liquid

Flake - combine all

Grease 8 x 4 loaf pan shape into loaf -

350 degrees  45 mins

Makes 4 - 6 servings

Called:  Basic Best Salmon Loaf*****************

For Patties - shape into 8 1 inch thick patties - pan fry on both sides

2 Tablespoons butter or oil until golden brown

The Dill does add a lot..........................................................

I'm sure Google can give you many more options.  This booklet has about a dozen different dishes to make.

Valued Contributor

@Eileen in Virginia wrote:

I don't know if this was around when your mother was cooking, but I really like Better Than Bouillon flavor concentrates. They come in a jar in a variety of flavors and you just dissolve the concentrate in hot water, then add to the dish you're making. Since it's a concentrated "paste", you can adjust the strength to suit your taste.  I use their lobster base when I make shrimp gumbo. Just refrigerate the unused portion for another time. I've bought them in the supermarket and on Amazon. 

@Eileen in Virginia 

No, it wasn't around in the1960s that I know of. She used chicken bouillon cubes when she needed chicken broth. I think Better Than Bouillon is a newer product. I have it, myself. I will have to look for a flavor that might work. She wasn't much of a cook, and neither am I, but I try! LOL Thanks!

Valued Contributor

@fthunt wrote:

From Alaska brochure

1 can salmon

2 cups soft bread crumbs

1/3 up finely minced onion

1/4 cup of milk

2 eggs

! T minced parsley

1 Tablespoon lemon juice

1/4 teaspoon each - salt - dill weed - dash pepper

Drain salmon reserving 2 Tablespoons liquid

Flake - combine all

Grease 8 x 4 loaf pan shape into loaf -

350 degrees  45 mins

Makes 4 - 6 servings

Called:  Basic Best Salmon Loaf*****************

For Patties - shape into 8 1 inch thick patties - pan fry on both sides

2 Tablespoons butter or oil until golden brown

The Dill does add a lot..........................................................

I'm sure Google can give you many more options.  This booklet has about a dozen different dishes to make.

@fthunt  Thank you. This sounds like a good one! No strange ingredients! I'll make it next week and let you know how it turned out!