Honored Contributor

Before going to the grocery store  I asked DH what he would like for supper and he said Salisbury steak. Well, OK,but I have never cooked it. Went to the store and bought cube steaks (they are thick - about 3/4") then came home and browned them in olive oil , also cooked some onion until they got soft then put the steaks back in the pan and put some broth in , set them on low and put a lid on so they would simmer a while. I'll add mushrooms toward the end and make gravy. All I seasoned with was salt, pepper and a little garlic.

So - those who know how to make salisbury steaks - am I on the right path here? Anything I need to add. 

I'm making mashed potatoes and peas as sides.

Super Contributor

@151949

Salisbury is usually made with ground beef, mixed with bread crumbs and spices.  My Mom used to make this when we were kids with onions, mashed potatoes and peas and then you make a gravy from the pan drippings  The Pioneer Woman has a delicious recipe for this, but yours sounds wonderful too.  One pound of chopped meat will give you 4 nice sized steaks.  If you use chopped meat, just make sure you don't flatten them to look like hamburgers.  Your post makes me want to make some for us.

Esteemed Contributor

I found a delicious recipe from Campbellskitchen.com called Simple Salisbury Steak, using chopped meat.  After reading the reviews, I tweaked the recipe and added a can of Golden Mushroom soup, in addition to beef gravy.  It may not be the healthiest recipe using canned soup, but I think once in a while it is OK and my family loves it.  Usually serve it with either rice or mashed potatoes.

Honored Contributor

You're doing a great job.  A little plain flower may have to be added to the drippings.  My fav green vegie with this is fresh green beans and cantaloupe!

I also add a can of beef broth or Lipton's Onion Soup Mix to the drippings and simmer it.

Enjoy!Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

Sounds great. We love peas too. Enjoy!

Esteemed Contributor

@lovemybichonfrise wrote:

@151949

Salisbury is usually made with ground beef, mixed with bread crumbs and spices.  My Mom used to make this when we were kids with onions, mashed potatoes and peas and then you make a gravy from the pan drippings  The Pioneer Woman has a delicious recipe for this, but yours sounds wonderful too.  One pound of chopped meat will give you 4 nice sized steaks.  If you use chopped meat, just make sure you don't flatten them to look like hamburgers.  Your post makes me want to make some for us.

@151949

@lovemybichonfrise

Another vote here for the Pioneer Woman's recipe!  I did not grow up eating this other than in the school cafeteria and occasional t.v. dinner.   All I know is Ree's recipe is far superior to school lunches and t.v. dinners.  And easy  to prepare.  Your menu sounds like pure comfort-hope your DH realizes how lucky he is!

Esteemed Contributor

Re: MAY 2018 RECIPE GAME

Cube Steak and mushroom onion gravy

Cubed Steak with Onion and Mushroom Gravy

Ingredients
2-3 Cube Steaks
3 Cups Sliced Mushrooms
1 Small Onion, halved and sliced (1/2 a Large) 
Black pepper
Seasoned salt
Flour
2 cups Chicken Stock
1/4 tsp Thyme
Vegetable Oil

Directions
Prep Veggies. Put your cube steaks on a plate and season both sides with salt, pepper, and 
seasoned salt. Put 2 big spoonfuls of flour on top of the steak and rub in, flip and repeat.

Pour enough oil into your skillet cover the cooking surface with oil, about 1/2 cup. Heat oil on medium high. When oil is nice and hot add your steaks to the pan. This is important!

Cook at medium high for about 3 minutes on each side. Remove steak to a clean plate. Remove pan from burner, discard all oil except about 2 tablespoons. Return to heat, add mushrooms and onions and stir to get any brown bits from the bottom of the pot. Add a pinch of salt and pepper. Cook until mushroom and onions start to turn golden, make sure nothing burns. Add just shy of 2 table spoon of flour and stir until veggies are coated. Add Chicken stock and stir well. Cook on medium high, until it has thickened and the return steaks and flip around in the gravy.

I make frozen Angus burgers (Salisbury steaks) using this recipe.  Serve with mashed potatoes.

Esteemed Contributor

I've made this one many times. Delicious!

Salisbury Steak Recipe
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 45 minutes
Total Time: 55 minutes
Yield: 4 Servings

Salisbury Steak Recipe
We're cooking up Salisbury Steak with Onions and Gravy. It's one of those traditional Southern comfort food items you'll find on the menu at Mom and Pop style restaurants and diners throughout the South. Fresh ground beef, caramelized onions and a rich brown gravy make this one more delicious item to serve to your family and friends.
Ingredients
  • 1 pound of Ground Round Beef
  • 1/2 teaspoon of Black Pepper
  • 1 teaspoon of Salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon of Garlic Powder
  • 1 teaspoon of Worcestershire Sauce
  • 1 whole Egg
  • 1/4 cup of dry Bread Crumbs
  • 2 Tablespoons of Butter
  • 1 large Onion, sliced
  • 2 Tablespoons of Flour
  • 2 cups of Water
  • 2 teaspoons of Beef Bouillon Granules
Instructions
  1. In a mixing bowl, combine the Beef, Black Pepper, Salt, Garlic Powder, Worcestershire Sauce, Bread Crumbs and one whole Egg. Stir mixture together well.
  2. Shape into 4 equal sized patties.
  3. Heat a skillet over medium heat for about a minute, and then add Butter.
  4. Place meat patties in skillet and brown on both sides for about 4-5 minutes each. Remove from skillet and set aside.
  5. Add the sliced Onion into the skillet, right on top of the browned bits.
  6. Reduce the heat and cook the onions on medium-low heat until the onions turn translucent and brown. Don't rush this step. Cook the onions low and slow for about 20-25 minutes.
  7. Sprinkle 2 Tablespoons of flour over the onions. Stir. Let cook and brown for about 2 minutes.
  8. Add 2 cups of warm Water. Stir well. Raise the heat back up to about medium.
  9. Add 2 teaspoons of Beef Bouillon Granules. Stir Well.
  10. Place the meat patties back in the pan. Cover. Reduce heat just a little and let simmer for about 15 more minutes. Remove from heat and serve warm.
  11. Enjoy!
Notes
You could certainly use a beef broth as opposed to the granules. Just omit adding the water and granules to the cooked onions and add beef broth instead.

http://www.tasteofsouthern.com/salisbury-steak-recipe/

Respected Contributor
I have been thinking about doing some of this too. Wow and those that think of the same idea.
Honored Contributor

Yeah, you pretty much did what I do. Cube steaks, mushrooms, onion and some brown gravy. Served with mashed potatoes and a vegetable. Today felt like a fall day so I made a simple meatloaf that DH proclaimed as very good.