Honored Contributor

@sidsmom@My worry is that they stop planting romaine and plant other lettuce there

Honored Contributor

Re: Salads without lettuce

[ Edited ]
Honored Contributor

@sidsmom@Yes you are right but I just don’t want to take food safety chances.I have several friends in Canada who grow all-of their own fruits,vegetables and nuts and berries to be safe from contamination.I don’t have the yard for that...too shady.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I don't quite understand why you would cook vegetables and then put them into a cold salad. I'm not a big lettuce fan except for the small Butter lettuce heads, so making a salad with just fresh (not cooked) veggies such as cherry tomatoes, cucumbers, green onions, asparagus, zucchini, summer squash, broccoli, carrots, always appeals to me, along with a zesty Italian dressing or a home made ranch dressing. If you want the "greens", try some fresh spinach leaves or a cabbage if you don't want lettuce.

Honored Contributor

@jannabelle1 wrote:

I don't quite understand why you would cook vegetables and then put them into a cold salad. I'm not a big lettuce fan except for the small Butter lettuce heads, so making a salad with just fresh (not cooked) veggies such as cherry tomatoes, cucumbers, green onions, asparagus, zucchini, summer squash, broccoli, carrots, always appeals to me, along with a zesty Italian dressing or a home made ranch dressing. If you want the "greens", try some fresh spinach leaves or a cabbage if you don't want lettuce.

I think that cooking food can kill ecoli so that is why I thought it would be safer to consume

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Just eat everything you usually eat on a salad, but no lettuce (Romaine or Iceberg). Top with dressing, bacon bits, cheese and croutons or whatever.

I have problems with lettuce of any kind, so that's how I eat a salad. 😊 ❤ 😊 

I love broccoli salad. 😊 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@jannabelle1 wrote:

Some vegetable are easier to eat when they have been steamed lightly.  You should not cook them to the mushy stage.they should still be a little crunchy.

I have been eating forms of cooked vegetable in salads all of my life.  It is normal to me.

Honored Contributor

Im glad to see this thread! I just posted in the Romaine Scare and asked about any good salads without lettuce!  Smiley Happy

Faith is the strength by which a shattered world shall emerge into the light. —Helen Keller
Honored Contributor

@Barbarainnc wrote:

Just eat everything you usually eat on a salad, but no lettuce (Romaine or Iceberg).

@Barbarainnc

The November 20, 2018 CDC Alert is for Romaine only.

Iceberg lettuce is OK.

Honored Contributor

Great thread for those of us who love both vegtables and salads.

April is Autism Awareness/Acceptance month.