Trusted Contributor

What you're describing would not be a salad.  It's cooked vegetables. 

Honored Contributor

Re: Salads without lettuce

[ Edited ]

I make quite a few salads without lettuce.

for hoilidays and pot lucks, I lightly steam, broccoli, or Brussel sprouts or green beans...and pour Italian dressing on them while still warm and put in the fridge.  Right before serving, I add cherry tomatoes cut in half.  If there is any left, it is better th next day.

i make red beet salad with sliced canned beets, onions, salt, pepper, oil and vinegar.  Tastes great the next day too.

Green bean salad with lightly steamed green beans, a little bit of onions, oil and vinegar.  Chop some mint and add.

I slice raw cabbage very thin, add oil and vinegar, salt and pepper.  Sometimes I add a small amount of peppers sliced in thin strips.

Tomato  salad with onions, basil, olive oil and salt. No vinegar. Can add some cheese if you like or bell peppers.   Important not to use vinegar.

Sliced cucumbers with onions, oil and vinegar. Sprinkle with oregano.

I almost forgot potato salad.  Add onions, oil and vinegar salt and pepper to cooked chunky potatoes cubes.  Can be eaten warm or cold. This is really good the next day

Honored Contributor

@aroc3435 wrote:

@Nightowlz   Great minds think alike, eh?  I was just thinking the same thing, since I don't live in a climate where I can garden year 'round.  Already miss my garden's tomatoes.  Pulled the last green ones last week.  

And some types of lettuce grow really quickly--not sure about romaine.  I think it might be the soft small heads of"butter lettuce" I'm thinking of.

Here in DC my parsley in an outdoor windowsill planter is still going strong.  Will see what tomorrow brings with near freezing, if not freezing temps, if it survives.

My parsley survives all winter long.  I go out, Brush the snow off and cut a few springs all winter long.

Frequent Contributor

Just last Saturday, I attended a Thanksgiving Boot Camp at chef Tom Douglas' cooking school.

We prepared a Bussels Sprouts Caesar salad, which is basically just shaved brussels sprouts (seasoned with salt and pepper) with caesar dressing.

I didn't think I would like it, but it was really good! Just use the best caesar salad dressing you can find (or make a home-made version)

Honored Contributor

Thanks everyone for some great new salad ideas to try...love it

Honored Contributor

There are so many other types of leafy greens...not just romaine.

D19AF8A7-7E5C-48CE-A9C4-98C944ECEB6A.jpeg

Respected Contributor

Costco members might want to try the packaged  Asian Salad, found in the refrigerated vegetable area at the store.  It consists of finely chopped cabbage, cashew nuts, Asian oil-vinegar dressing and other seasonings/seeds.

It's very good once in a while if you're looking for a cold salad/vegetable dish.

Honored Contributor

I plan to use fresh baby spinach and spring lettuces along with iceburg.

Honored Contributor

@sidsmom wrote:

@sidsmom wrote:

This can't be repeated enough, @sidsmom

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Honored Contributor