Honored Contributor

How about including a nice fruit salad?  I go to a crab feast every July 4th. I always bring an aluminum roasting past full of fresh fruit (that I spend the entire morning cleaning/cutting/ etc.  There has never been a drop left at the end of the party.

Esteemed Contributor

Greek Orzo Salad

1 cup orzo

6 T olive oil

5 T red wine vinegar

1 small red onion chopped fine

1 & 1/2 t salt

1/2 t freshly ground black pepper

1 t dried oregano

1/4 cup minced parsley

2 large tomatoes diced

1 english cucumber diced

12 greek olives halved & pitted

6 oz feta cheese

In 2 quarts boiling water cook orzo until slightly al dente, rinse & drain

Place orzo in 2 quart serving dish and toss w/1 T olive oil

Whisk together remaining olive oil, vinegar, onion, salt, pepper, oregano & parsley

Pur over orzo & chill for 2 to 24 hours

Toss remaining ingredients with orzo mixture before serving

Serves 10

I double the ingredients and it makes plenty of servings as a side dish.

Honored Contributor

Re: Salad Recipes

[ Edited ]

@hovis  A friend of mine turned me onto a great cole slaw that's different and so stinking GOOD!!!!

Mix regualr slaw & purple together (use pre-cut, as much as you need for your guests). Dice some green onions, add lemon juice to taste (1/4 cup or so), same of mayo (I only use Hellmann's b/c I do not like the taste of miracle whip - tastes too much like an already flavored salad dressing. I prefer to season as I choose.). Add a little oil to mix, salt & pepper to taste, add crumbled blue cheese - hopefully you like blue cheese because I'm telling you, THIS makes this slaw!  Mix it all up - ENJOY!!!!  This slaw is crazy good with a taste of the lemon juice & blue cheese.

If you make a really nice tossed salad, I found a GREAT pre-mix at Aldi's that we love.  The base is chopped up brussel sprouts, cabbage (white, purple carrots shredded as slaw is), pepitas (pumpkin seeds), dried cranberries, poppy seed dressing. - This mix w/poppy seed dressing is UNbelieveable in flavor!  You can easily do this one sans the mix, just buy these ingreients & put it together yourself.  Another YUMMY salad!

Valued Contributor

Thank you all for your ideas. Could you please tell me how to make the Salad Supreme pasta salad ? Thanks.

Valued Contributor

This is such a fresh spring salad. Feel free to double or triple as necessary. I hope you'll like it.

LoLa

Arugula Salad with Citrus and Fennel

2-3 Cara cara oranges or other citrus, segmented
2 big handfuls of arugula
1 large fennel, quartered, thinly sliced
1 lemon, juiced
1 watermelon radish, quartered, thinly sliced
Handful of parsley, roughly chopped
Handful of dill, roughly chopped
1/4 cup chopped hazelnuts
2 Tbsp olive oil
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper

Marinate - In a large bowl, combine fennel and radish with the lemon juice, and set aside to marinate.

Hazelnuts - Meanwhile, toast hazelnuts in a skillet on medium heat, until fragrant and just starting to brown - about 5-10 minutes. Pour nuts onto a cutting board and allow to cool. Remove skins by rolling the nuts around with palm of your hand. Roughly chop, and set aside for topping.

Salad - Remove fennel and radish and place in a separate bowl, and reserve the juices from marinated for the dressing. Combine fennel and radish with arugula and chopped herbs, mix well.

Dressing - Whisk in sea salt and pepper with the lemon juice. Next, whisk in the olive oil. (The order matters - the salt won't dissolve well after adding the oil).

Assemble - Place into a lovely bowl and top with orange pieces and dressing. Garnish with a sprinkle of toasted hazelnuts.

Honored Contributor
LilBitMisty shared a Grape Salad on another thread here. It is excellent, I have used it several times, and it does serve a lot of people. I recommend it.
"To each their own, in all things".
Valued Contributor

Hi @hovis

This is a knock-off of the fabulous Whole Food's quinoa salad. It is a healthier version of picnic food with no mayo or oil, but still very delicious.

Whole Food's California Quinoa Salad

(serves 8 as a side)

1 cup uncooked quinoa
1 + 1/2 cups shelled edamame, thawed, if frozen
1 mango, peeled and diced
1/2 red bell pepper, diced small
1/2 green bell pepper, diced small
1 small red onion, diced small
3/4 cup unsweetened coconut flakes
3/4 cup sliced or slivered almonds
1/2 cup raisins
2 tablespoons fresh chopped cilantro
2 limes, zested (just the green not the white pith) and juiced
1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
salt

Rinse the quinoa well in a wire strainer and cook according to package directions. Cool. Fluff with a fork.
In a large mixing bowl toss everything together and season with salt and pepper to taste.
Serve chilled or at room temperature. Refrigerate leftovers.

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
Valued Contributor

I have a delicious salad and oh so easy.  Use whatever greens you like (I usually make it with iceburg, just because that's what most people prefer) Add can(s) of the tiny shrimp, grated parmesan (not the stuff in the can) and Italian dressing.  That's it.  I just add some of the dressing to the salad, and then set extra out along side of it in case anyone cares for more

cookin

Respected Contributor

@hovis I bumped up my cous cous salad recipe in the Kitchen section....can't cut and paste on this tablet, sorry

New Contributor

FRITO CORN SALAD

2 (15 ounce) cans whole kernel corn - drained

2 cups grated cheddar cheese - pepper jack is SOO GOOD TOO!

1/2 or a whole jalapeno - seeded of course

1 cup mayonnaise / 5 tbl spoons of miricle whip

1 cup green pepper,

½ cup chopped red onion, 

1 (10 ½ ounce) bag coarsely crushed Fritos chili cheese corn chips - or regular will do

2-3 tablespoons  of chili seasoning

Directions: 1 Mix first 5 ingredients. Chill until ready to serve.

Stir in crushed corn chips just before serving, or leave on top.