Contributor

Salad Greens w/ Mandarin Oranges, Dried Cherries/Cranberries & Poppy Seed Vinaigrette

[ Edited ]

(This makes quite a bit.  Cut down recipe to suit your needs)

SALAD GREENS w/ MANDARIN ORANGES, DRIED BERRIES & VINAIGRETTE

4 medium heads Bibb lettuce (other types OK)

2 16-ounce cans mandarin orange slices (used when dressing salad just before serving)

Dried cherries or cranberries (only a few tablespoonfuls of these are needed to mix in when you dress the salad.

Wash and dry lettuce, drain oranges to mix in when you dress the salad.

Vinaigrette

1/2 cup minced red onion

3/4 cup sugar

2 tsp. dry mustard

2 tsp. salt

2/3 cup red wine vinegar

2 cups oil

3 Tbsp. poppy seeds

Mix first 4 ingredients in blender until onion is finely chopped.

With blender running, pour in vinegar. 

Slowly pour in oil.

Stir in poppy seeds.

Refrigerate and use on  salad just before serving.

Valued Contributor

Re: Salad Greens w/ Mandarin Oranges, Dried Cherries/Cranberries & Poppy Seed Vinaigrette

Sounds delicious, novadc. I copied it and sent it to my inbox. Will try it this week! 

Contributor

Re: Salad Greens w/ Mandarin Oranges, Dried Cherries/Cranberries & Poppy Seed Vinaigrette

Let me know how you like it.  I had this while staying at a friend's house many years ago and thought it was so good, I asked her the next day if I could finish up the leftover salad in her refrigerator.  I just took the whole big bowl, sat down at her kitchen table,  and ate it down to the last bite.  (I get the best recipes from my friends)

Honored Contributor

Yum novadc, this is right up my alley!!! Toss a little chicken on top & there is a complete, hot summer day meal at my house!

Thanks for posting the recipe!