Respected Contributor

Re: Sadness at this time of year

On 12/25/2014 MargieRJ said:

Thanks so much for this thread. I am home alone this Christmas, as I have been for many holidays. Both of my parents have now passed on, I'm an only child and many of my relatives are scattered about the country. The ones that live close by haven't bothered to call or write me in years.

My dad passed days before Christmas years ago. My mom had her first major heart attack during this season too, so it hasn't been a happy time for me or my family for a long time. For many years I spent holidays in a hospital with one parent or another.

Whenever friends at work ask how my holidays have been I usually say "nice and quiet" and let it stay at that. There's nothing to tell, other than that.

I had to recall that I spent a lot of Christmases alone. My husband would go to Florida but we both couldn't afford to go and I had to work. So he'd go see his family (and fly--faster that way) and we'd save the cost of one flight. I forgot that! I have fun memories of us playing his favorite Christmas CD's but I didn't remember so much that I often spend the day alone.

Esteemed Contributor

On 12/25/2014 MargieRJ said:

Thanks so much for this thread. I am home alone this Christmas, as I have been for many holidays. Both of my parents have now passed on, I'm an only child and many of my relatives are scattered about the country. The ones that live close by haven't bothered to call or write me in years.

My dad passed days before Christmas years ago. My mom had her first major heart attack during this season too, so it hasn't been a happy time for me or my family for a long time. For many years I spent holidays in a hospital with one parent or another.

Whenever friends at work ask how my holidays have been I usually say "nice and quiet" and let it stay at that. There's nothing to tell, other than that.

(((hugs))) http://i374.photobucket.com/albums/oo181/whatever511_2008/108.jpg

Trusted Contributor

Thanks for the thread. I lost my dear father from cancer last year and recently my job of 18 years. It's a lot to take in a short time. I'm doing okay, but I feel alone a lot. I'm the one who is reaching out to my friends and neighbors (sending cards, etc), but not too many reaching back. I think people get busy and don't really remember those of us who are alone and need to know we have support. I also think many people are uncomfortable with people who have issues in their life. I had one "friend" from work who told me she didn't want to be around my "negative" situation.

But, I did walk today, read, baked a bit and tried not to let this season get me down. New Year's is always harder for me. Facing a new year without family and the uncertainty of life can leave me very afraid and sad. I know I need to get out there, look for a new job, and change my life, but it's so hard right now to get into that mode.

This time of the year should be so happy and carefree, but it's not for so many. Thanks for remembering those of us who are alone and who need to know that we are thought of.

Super Contributor

When you lose your job, you feel like you also have lost your family. Or worse, like your family deserted you. I feel for you Daring Greatly. But it will get better. You will get better.

And I know what you mean about facing a new year. This year, I am trying to shift my thinking and look at the new year as one for opportunity and change. I am looking forward to January!

Sending good thoughts to anybody who is alone this holiday week. We'll make it through!

Super Contributor

Speaking as someone who's parents are both gone, whose brother is shall we politely say "shady" and is divorced with no children: I like kindness done to me year round. Not just close to the holidays. Personally I try to do the anonymous kindnesses that pleasantly surprise people. Leaving magazines or extra goodies at the local retirement home. etc... I don't want someone pitying me during the holidays. Not much worse than having the perceived perfection of family shoved down your throat when you have nobody. With any luck this will be the last Holiday I spend in the state I live in. Its not easy for a person not 25 to make friends here and when you do they usually want something other than friendship. I have to get out of here soon. I used to be nice. For my own physical safety as a single female I have to watch who I allow to approach. I live in a large dangerous city. I'd recommend the be grateful for what you have and kindness to people year round, not just at the Holidays.

Trusted Contributor

On 12/25/2014 DARING GREATLY said:

Thanks for the thread. I lost my dear father from cancer last year and recently my job of 18 years. It's a lot to take in a short time. I'm doing okay, but I feel alone a lot. I'm the one who is reaching out to my friends and neighbors (sending cards, etc), but not too many reaching back. I think people get busy and don't really remember those of us who are alone and need to know we have support. I also think many people are uncomfortable with people who have issues in their life. I had one "friend" from work who told me she didn't want to be around my "negative" situation.

But, I did walk today, read, baked a bit and tried not to let this season get me down. New Year's is always harder for me. Facing a new year without family and the uncertainty of life can leave me very afraid and sad. I know I need to get out there, look for a new job, and change my life, but it's so hard right now to get into that mode.

This time of the year should be so happy and carefree, but it's not for so many. Thanks for remembering those of us who are alone and who need to know that we are thought of.

For someone with so many heartaches this year - you are keeping yourself on a positive path. Walking is an excellent stress reducer for me (I fell so I am going to stick to the boring track or treadmill), reading and baking (I would be eating everything I baked and would need the walk).

You can also return here for re-enforcement.

I will keep you in my Prayers.

Esteemed Contributor

WillEscape­CAsoon I don't envy the situation you are in but I'm glad you're getting out of it. I wouldn't want to live in a large city, either. I live in a very small, rural town and I am not afraid although I do take sensible precautions that anyone should take these days.

But most people I come in contact with are simple country folk who wouldn't harm a fly. {#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

Esteemed Contributor

Well it is now Dec 26 and for me anyway,the heaviness has lifted. It always amazes me that the next day I feel so different.

The days before Christmas are so hard to bear and get worse and worse as the big day approaches and then suddenly the next day the sun shines.

It is so strange. I pray all of you that have posted on this thread are feeling better too,and for who ever still has a heavy heart,I pray the new year will change things for you so much your heart will no longer be filled with sadness ,but replaced with PEACE

{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{hugs}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}

Super Contributor

On 12/26/2014 YorkieonmyPillow said:

WillEscape­CAsoon I don't envy the situation you are in but I'm glad you're getting out of it. I wouldn't want to live in a large city, either. I live in a very small, rural town and I am not afraid although I do take sensible precautions that anyone should take these days.

But most people I come in contact with are simple country folk who wouldn't harm a fly. {#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

Exactly Yorkie. That is why I am hoping within the next say 8 months it will be Adios to this State for me. Eau Claire Wisconsin, Here I come!

Esteemed Contributor

Digo - kind post. I hope 2015 brings you your heart's desires.

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau