Honored Contributor

Re: Sadness at this time of year

On 12/25/2014 DARING GREATLY said:

Thanks for the thread. I lost my dear father from cancer last year and recently my job of 18 years. It's a lot to take in a short time. I'm doing okay, but I feel alone a lot.

This time of the year should be so happy and carefree, but it's not for so many. Thanks for remembering those of us who are alone and who need to know that we are thought of.

You know what I admire about you? It's that you admit your feelings of loneliness, but you still find things that make you happy (reading, baking or taking a walk). Those are the same things that I enjoy doing so I would find you to be the perfect neighbor. I don't know what kind of career you left, but I do wish you luck finding a new job. Some people in the work place can be so mean, but it would be great if you found a nice bunch of people to work with.

Super Contributor

I had been avoiding this thread because I struggle with that kind of pain during the holidays. Neither parent loved or wanted me, and all the siblings fell in line behind mom and dad. Then, I am cursed with an amazing detailed memory! I remember past Christmases, dashed hope, then despair, etc. It's awful! What I did for myself was to be sure to take extra D3, (supposedly it helps with depression) and be more aware of how my mood might affect my own family, so I stood up a little straighter and walked forward with a little more deliberation. OP you are not alone! I'm so glad Christmas is over! - Bird

Honored Contributor

On 12/25/2014 YorkieonmyPillow said:
On 12/25/2014 MargieRJ said:

Thanks so much for this thread. I am home alone this Christmas, as I have been for many holidays. Both of my parents have now passed on, I'm an only child and many of my relatives are scattered about the country. The ones that live close by haven't bothered to call or write me in years.

My dad passed days before Christmas years ago. My mom had her first major heart attack during this season too, so it hasn't been a happy time for me or my family for a long time. For many years I spent holidays in a hospital with one parent or another.

Whenever friends at work ask how my holidays have been I usually say "nice and quiet" and let it stay at that. There's nothing to tell, other than that.

(((hugs))) http://i374.photobucket.com/albums/oo181/whatever511_2008/108.jpg

Also an only child with parents gone. Grateful for my children and grandchildren, but the holidays will never be the same as I also lost my spouse this time of year. I go through the motions for the kids, but holidays will never be the same. Good thoughts to all of you that are alone, lonely, etc.