Highlighted
Honored Contributor

I am not a fan of potato salad but I went to a catered party a couple of years ago and they served sweet potato salad and it was delicious.  I have tried a few recipes and not been happy with them.  This is a recipe from Carla Hall's Soul Food that I love with a few changes.  

4+ cups 1 inch chunks Garnet yams peeled (about two very large yams)
Kosher salt
1/4 cup mayo
1/4 cup sour cream
3 T finely chopped bread & butter pickles
2 t curry powder
1 t apple cider vinegar
2 large hard-boiled eggs, diced
1 small red, yellow or orange bell pepper, finely diced
1 small green bell pepper, finely diced
Sliced green onions for garnish

Put potatoes in large saucepan and add enough cold water to cover by 2 inches.  Generously salt the water and bring to a boil.  Boil under tender (about 15 minutes).  Drain well and spread out on a sheet pan to quickly cool to room temp. 

Meanwhile, whisk mayo, sour cream, pickles, curry powder, vinegar and 3/4 t salt in a large bowl.  Add the eggs, both bell peppers and the cooled potatoes,  Fold gently until well mixed.  Cover and chill for a few hours before serving.  Sprinkle sliced green onion on top when ready to serve.

I also boiled an extra egg and sliced it and wedged a tomato to garnish around the edges of the bowl, then sprinkled the green onions on top.

Honored Contributor

Sounds delicious!

Have you ever had sweet potato / black bean salad.  Two flavors make a wonderful combo.  Lots of recipes online.

Honored Contributor

@ALRATIBA 

I have never had sweet potato and black bean salad.  I will have to look into that!

Valued Contributor

Thank you for the recipe  I will have to try this.  I was on a cruise a couple weeks ago and this was one of the buffet items. Low carb too!

Honored Contributor

I make a version of this dish that omits the mayo and sour cream:

2 lbs sweet potatoes peeled and cut into 3/4" chunks

1 red bell pepper cut into 1/2" pieces

2 tbsp cider vinegar

1 tbsp Dijon mustard

5 slices chopped bacon

3 tbsp vegetable oil

3 thinly-sliced scallions

Bring 1" water to boil in big saucepan.  Set steamer basket in pan and fill with sweet potatoes.  Cover and cook on medium-low heat until potatoes are almost tender, about 20 minutes.  Add bell pepper and cover.  Cook until potatoes and pepper are tender, another couple minutes or so.  Drain and rinse under cold water until cooled.  Hold in big bowl.

Mix vinegar, mustard, 1/2 tsp salt, and 1/2 tsp pepper in dish.  Microwave half of mixture in smaller dish for 30 seconds.  Gently toss potatoes and peppers with hot vinegar sauce.  Let sit at room temperature for 15 minutes.

Cook bacon until crisp and drain on paper towel.  Whisk vegetable oil into remaining vinegar sauce.  Gently toss with potatoes to coat.  Stir in bacon and scallions.  Cover and refrigerate for 1/2 hour before serving. 

Honored Contributor

Sounds good. I've never heard of it made this way either.

Honored Contributor

@DiAnne 

As always, Thank you!  You are so kind to always share your recipes and they become my favorites all the time!

If you find a black bean one, please let us know!

@ALRATIBA 

If you have a favorite recipe for that, will you share it?  I know I can google it, but I always prefer to use a recipe that others have tried!

TIA!

Respected Contributor

@RespectLife wrote:

@DiAnne 

As always, Thank you!  You are so kind to always share your recipes and they become my favorites all the time!

If you find a black bean one, please let us know!

@ALRATIBA 

If you have a favorite recipe for that, will you share it?  I know I can google it, but I always prefer to use a recipe that others have tried!

TIA!

@RespectLife  This is the recipe that we always come back to:

5-6 medium sweet potatoes, depending on the size, (the recipe calls for 4 about 1 1/2 lbs or so), peeled and cut into 1 inch chunks, 1 large red onion chopped, 1/2 cup evoo (I use less, I find you don't need so much oil), salt and pepper to taste, 1-2 tbsp minced jalapeño ( I use either Ancho or Chipotle powder, to taste), 1 clove garlic peeled, juice of two limes, usually I sub lemons for limes but not in this recipe, 2 cups cooked black beans, drained ( I use low sodium from the can), 1 red or yellow pepper, diced, 1 cup chopped cilantro ( I usually use Italian, flat parsley). I sometimes add a little balsamic vinegar but the original recipe does not call for it. It's really not needed, just something I do every so often.

Preheat oven to 400. Put the sweet piataoes and onions in a large baking sheet and drizzle with 2 tbsp of oil. Toss and spread out in a single layer. Sprinkle with the salt and pepper. Roast, turning occasionally until potatoes begin to brown and just tender inside, I cook them for 40 minutes but you can cook them for 30. Take out of the oven and leave them in the pan.

Dressing: Put the garlic, lime juice, the remaining evoo and the jalapeño pepper OR the chili powder, and a bit more salt and pepper (I don't add more at this point) if you choose, in a processor and blend. 

Put the vegetables in a large bowl with beans and the red or yellow pepper, toss with the dressing and cilantro.

I hope you enjoy the recipe if you decide to make it.

Happiness is not a destination, it is a way of life.
Honored Contributor

@Coquille 

Oh thank you!  Really appreciate it!  It sounds really good and black beans are my fav bean!

Thanks again for taking the time to post!!!