Honored Contributor

SWEET AND SOUR RED ONIONS

[ Edited ]

Recently made a batch of these and thought I would share the recipe.  It could not be easier and I am sure you will find many uses for them.  One of my favorites is on a grilled cheese sandwich and of course the addition of a little bacon would not hurt at all!

1 T olive oil
1 T unsalted butter
1 large red onion, halved and thinly sliced
2 t dark brown sugar
Pinch salt or to taste
1 T balsamic vinegar
Freshly ground black pepper

Heat oil and butter over medium high heat.  Add onion and saute 5 minutes.  Stir in sugar and salt.  Reduce heat to med-low and cook 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.  Add the vinegar.  Simmer for 1-2 minutes.  Season with black pepper.  Cool and store in container in fridge up to 5 days.  This makes just under 1/2 cup.  

Contributor

Re: SWEET AND SOUR RED ONIONS

This sounds fabulous!  Thanks for sharing.

Respected Contributor

Wow, this sounds wonderful. I love onions. I'll try these on the mini Trader Joe's pizzas for starters.

Esteemed Contributor

@DiAnne, thanks for sharing.  I am definitely making it this week.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Respected Contributor

This sounds delicious!

I have a friend who slices sweet onions, paprika, butter, S&P and Worcesteshire sauce, wraps them in foil and cooks them on the grill. OMG are they good.

Respected Contributor

Thanks so much, @DiAnne. I love pickled red onions, & these sound like a nice change!

Muddling through...
Honored Contributor

Yum!  Many thanks!  I'm seeing grilled pork loin chops and meat loaf!

Esteemed Contributor

Thank you @DiAnne. These sound great. I love red onions and I'll try this soon. Maybe tonight!  

Valued Contributor

Thank you DiAnne for sharing... I make this recipe, but, with yellow onions, I will have to try with red onions.  I make 3 lbs at a time and make little individually wrapped packages wrapped in plastic wrap and placed in a ziplock bag and freeze.  This stuff is addicting and like candy!   I add it to about everything I like onions in... omelets, pizza, hamburgers, taco meat, Fajitas, Salsa, Salads, Corn muffins, etc.

may good luck be your friend in whatever you do
and may trouble be always a stranger to you
Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

Do you also use the balsamic vinegar and cook them first, Chicagoan?  I have been looking for a recipe.  My grandma used to make them but I have no recipe.  They sound so delicious! I have the pickled and mustard eggs down pat, but not the onions.  Blessings