I really am so glad to see you Smiley Happy

Thanks, @Noel7.

I'm really glad to be here with everyone, too! Smiley Happy Heart

Respected Contributor

@Noel7 wrote:

@Toppers3

I really am so glad to see you Smiley Happy

@Noel7

Thanks. Everyone's comments made me hungry! 

Valued Contributor

I make 8 qts of Ham and Bean soup every couple of months, all year round.  I always have a quart in the fridge and I pretty much eat it for lunch daily.  I keep it frozen in the freezer and will take out a quart every couple of days and thaw in the fridge.  I am addicted to the stuff and it is a fast easy heat up meal... lol 

Of course you can add to soup anything you like, this is my version of Ham and Bean Soup.  I use my 8 qt electric pressure cooker to make it, but, it would be just as good simmered on the stove top....

Robin's Great Northern Bean Soup

1 lb Great Northern beans, sorted for rocks and pre-soak in fridge overnight
Ham Bone or 2 Ham Hocks... a must for flavor
Diced Ham (add after pressure cooking beans)
Large can of Diced Tomatoes or 2 cans of regular size
Diced Onion
Diced Celery
Diced Carrots
Diced Potato... add potatoes after pressure cooking beans
1 Jalapeno Pepper finely diced, seeded
3 Bay Leaves
1/2 jar of Goya Sofrito (Mexican Aisle)
3 tbsp Knorr Caldo de Pollo seasoning (or any chicken seasoning)
pinch cumin
1/2 tsp Garlic Powder
Squirt of Sriracha Sauce or Cayenne Pepper (add to taste)
Water (do not exceed filling pressure cooker more than 3/4 full)
2-3 tbs Bacon Grease
salt and pepper to taste after pressure cooking

In Electric Pressure Cooker on Saute Setting... Saute Onions, Celery and Carrots in Bacon grease, when soften add finely diced seeded Jalapeno Pepper and saute peppers (do not burn).

Add Ham Bone and pre-soaked bean, Diced tomatoes and fill cooker to max water line (3/4 full) with Water, Sofrito and spices/seasoning.

Pressure Cook for 30 minutes and check for doneness... I like my beans fall apart tender.  Adjust cooking time to your liking.

Release pressure, remove ham bone (clean ham from bone and add ham back to bean soup) add diced potatoes and Ham (I keep diced ham in the freezer), salt and pepper and Sriracha and cook with lid off until potatoes are cooked.

Note...  I buy a bone-in ham and I do not cook the ham.  I slice all the meat from the bone and package it with my foodsaver machine and freeze.  I love have having ham ready for breakfast/dinner or for any dish I need it for.  I also dice some of the ham slices and make small packages before freezing.  You can also buy a couple of thick sliced ham on sale from the Deli and dice to bite size. 

I freeze soup in pint size and quart size freezer containers (bought "FREEZER" containers from Amazon).  A 8 qt pressure makes about 7 pints or use freezer quart size.

may good luck be your friend in whatever you do
and may trouble be always a stranger to you
Trusted Contributor

Hi @Chicagoan,

Your ham and bean soup recipe looks really good!

I can see that it has a bit of a zip to it too, with the pepper in it and the other spices. I bet that it is delicious!

It sounds really good right about now, with this cold front that we have moving through. We will now be in the 40's from the 60's. Perfect soup weather! Smiley Happy