Honored Contributor

@QVCkitty1 wrote:

Last week I had some cauliflower to use up, so I roasted it with some garlic, meanwhile I sautéed  some onion and carrots. I added the cauliflower to the veg. And then added chicken broth, and spices ( salt, pepper more garlic,and a touch of curry powder. I blended it with my immersion blender, and added just a little milk and about a Tbs, of butter. It was really good , and with things I already had on hand.

That does sound good @QVCkitty1

I'm hampered a lot of the time because my daughter developed a serious allergy to onions Woman Sad

Honored Contributor

I assume everyone knows about Betty Crocker online.

Betty has A LOT of different soup recipes for inspiration.  One thing I love about soup is that you can change it up and make it your own.

Betty's soup recipes start here:

http://www.bettycrocker.com/search/searchresults?term=soup&termDataSource=d6fb75f5-d19a-49cd-9ba0-c1...

Respected Contributor

Re: SOUP'S ON !

[ Edited ]

@Noel7 @momtochloe  Or instead of sherry, try a splash of brandy in the split pea soup or Calvedos (apple brandy).   Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

I like a veggie soup starting with some browned and drained diced bacon so the soup has the smokey flavor.   Any recipe will do but I start with the bacon. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

@mtc

I never thought of using the pressure cooker, I'll bet that's so much faster!

My standard recipe has red pepper flakes in it, I'll have to try it with sherry instead.

@Noel7  Actually, I think if you left the red pepper flakes in - as well as adding a bit of sherry or brandy - that would be fine . . . it's fun to experiment. 

Honored Contributor

@alliswell wrote:

My standard recipe has red pepper flakes in it, I'll have to try it with sherry instead.

@Noel7  Actually, I think if you left the red pepper flakes in - as well as adding a bit of sherry or brandy - that would be fine . . . it's fun to experiment. 

Thanks @alliswell  Adding that sherry really does sound delicious.

It is fun to experiment, that's one thing I like about making soup Smiley Happy  Thank, and the house smells so good.

Honored Contributor

@Noel7 wrote:

@momtochloe wrote:

@Noel7 wrote:

@alliswell wrote:

Split Pea with smoked ham hocks and a splash of sherry Smiley Happy

@alliswell

I think split pea is my all time favorite.  I usually make right after Easter with the leftover ham and bone.

@Noel7 the only soup I make is split pea so I will be hunting down a ham for either Thanksgiving or Christmas.  It comes out so delicious out of the pressure cooker and @alliswell thanks for the heads up on adding a bit of sherry as I will try that this year . . . Smiley Happy

@momtochloe

@Noel7 it comes out great in the pressure cooker as all of the ham that is attached to the bone just falls of into small pieces.  I toss in some carrots, sometimes potatoes if I have a couple stray ones rolling around . . . push a couple of buttons and you have delicious soup in no time . . . Smiley Happy

Quick question to the group, I have always used water when making split pea soup but was wondering if anyone used stock.  If anyone does I would appreciate hearing your thoughts!

Honored Contributor

I like soups made with chicken stock or vegetable stock.  I don't care for bean or split pea soups.  I made chicken stock last week-end and froze it in 6 cups increments so it is all set to make soup.  

Trusted Contributor

Everyone's soups sound delicious!  This week I'll be making a very homey and comforting soup...Hamburger Soup.  You brown some very lean ground beef, drain what little fat renders from it, then add beef stock, crushed tomatoes, onions, carrots, celery, parsley and cooked egg noodles.  It's so delicious and easy. 

Another favorite soup is cream of broccoli.  Then of course, there's nothing like the old standby, chicken noodle!   Once in a while when I'm in a hurry, I'll buy canned soup to have with sandwiches, and while some of the canned soups are really quite good, there is nothing like homemade!

And the poster who said she adds Lambrusco to onion soup....what an idea!  I've got to try that, I'm always enjoying a glass of Lambrusco but have never added it to onion soup! 

Honored Contributor

I had clam chowder last night. The white one. New England. For all the work involved, opening a can is just easier for me. I don't think anything would taste as good as if you made it yourself. But sometimes for one, it just doesn't make sense.