Respected Contributor

Re: SO .... WHAT'S THE TRICK?

[ Edited ]

@x Hedge wrote:

20 seconds is way too long.

Try 3 to 5 seconds.

It really depends on the size and density.

3-5 seconds won't really do anything for a piece of bread, especially a hard one. 

Respected Contributor

How long you microwave anything is determined by size and density.

If I have hard bread that needs help, I usually slice it, pop some butter inside, and then microwave. I usually start with 20 seconds, but adjust based on size and type of bread.

Esteemed Contributor

Adding a sprinkle of moisture is for refreshing them with conduction heat.

Microwaves act directly on the moisture content already within the item. When using a microwave to refresh baked goods, the moisture content is king, not size or density.

When waving a croissant, (which is loaded with butter fat even when it feels dry) I start at a few second at half power, repeat as needed, and eat it as soon as it seems "just right. 

Honored Contributor

@x Hedge wrote:

Adding a sprinkle of moisture is for refreshing them with conduction heat.

Microwaves act directly on the moisture content already within the item. When using a microwave to refresh baked goods, the moisture content is king, not size or density.

When waving a croissant, (which is loaded with butter fat even when it feels dry) I start at a few second at half power, repeat as needed, and eat it as soon as it seems "just right. 

@x Hedge 

A - ha!    thanks for the insight

Respected Contributor

Microwaving them about 10 seconds.

Respected Contributor

Just read the bread pudding suggestions--now that sounds wonderful!

Honored Contributor

@suzykee wrote:

Nuking is never good for bread products. It takes a little time & planning but  use the oven to reheat rolls. If they are really dry you can moisten them with a tiny bit of water then wrap in foil & heat for 10 min at 325 - 350 degrees. Years ago, like 60-65, my mom had a "bun steamer". It was a domed aluminum pan that had a rack in it. You added a little water to it, set the rolls on the rack, covered it & put it on the stove burner on low heat. It created moist heat to warm the rolls. I don't know why you couldn't try the same thing with a skillet, rack & domed lid. All you need to do is creat an environment of moist heat.

@suzykee You could also steam the bread using a vegetable steamer insert.

Classic Cuisine-1.5 Qt. Stainless Steel Expanded Steamer Basket

Honored Contributor

@hayseed00 ...my mom made the best bread pudding.  DH won't eat it and if I made it....i'd eat to much....so good!