Honored Contributor

So ..... you have some croissants or rolls that are a couple days old and are drying out a little.   How do you "freshen" them up?   I don't eat bread very often, but my sister tried wrapping rolls in a damp paper towel and nuking them in the mincrowave for 20 seconds .... uh, didn't work.

Anyone got a trick for not-fresh rolls? 

Honored Contributor

Re: SO .... WHAT'S THE TRICK?

Croutons or bread crumbs?

Esteemed Contributor

20 seconds is way too long.

Try 3 to 5 seconds.

Honored Contributor

I sprinkle a little water on them, then nuke about 10-12 seconds.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Regular Contributor

Nuking is never good for bread products. It takes a little time & planning but  use the oven to reheat rolls. If they are really dry you can moisten them with a tiny bit of water then wrap in foil & heat for 10 min at 325 - 350 degrees. Years ago, like 60-65, my mom had a "bun steamer". It was a domed aluminum pan that had a rack in it. You added a little water to it, set the rolls on the rack, covered it & put it on the stove burner on low heat. It created moist heat to warm the rolls. I don't know why you couldn't try the same thing with a skillet, rack & domed lid. All you need to do is creat an environment of moist heat.

Trusted Contributor

Bread should never be microwaved. The chemical process that takes place in a microwave is the same as process as staling. Makes any bread instantly stale.

Refreshing bread in a conventional oven (radiant heat) is the same process as baking, so will refreshen. 

Preheat oven to 400. Put your bread or rolls in an untreated paper bag, run the bag quickly under the facucet and place in the oven for a few minutes. The water on the bag will create steam heat, which will revive your bread.

Respected Contributor

My trick is don't try to reheat - make bread pudding! LOL

Denise
Esteemed Contributor

Croissants just up and die after 3 hours.  No way to revive.

Honored Contributor

Maybe some bread pudding?

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Highlighted
Respected Contributor

Dampen the croissants, rolls, Italian bread, etc. and heat for 5 min. in a 350 degree oven or toaster oven.  Allow more time if bread is still damp.  It is a trial and error process but works well.